Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attic conversion 3 story house

• 23-01-2022 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Has anyone gotten their attic converted in a 3 story house. We live in a recent new build and the attic space is decent for extra storage or maybe an office space and would love to know if these spaces could be used.

House is concrete built with steels already in place in the attic by the looks of it.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So you have 3 stories, and you want to go to 4 stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Yep as silly as it sounds

Not silly. Just wanted to clarify before commenting.

There are some very strict rules when building a 3 storey dwelling from a fire safety point of view. When you enter a 4 storey dwelling you go even stricter. You may need a second staircase.

check out TGD Part B Dwelling Houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,612 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think a 4 storey dwelling is the same class as a 3 storey dwelling (Class 1b). There doesn't appear be be any limit preventing it being 4 story (Class 1c is limited to 3 stories). And many of the requirements should already be in place.

Section 1.3.4 - http://www.housing.old.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/technical_guidance_document_b_fire_safety_volume_2_dwelling_houses.pdf

Yes many of the provisions apply I think if the 3 storey was constructed in compliance. I guess my fear was a 2 storey being converted into a 4 storey.

In a compliant 3 storey dwelling, then it should be a simp,e case of extending the existing provisions vertically.but it can come down to the height of that 4th floor and if it breaks the 7.5m barrier.

1.3.4 (c)“ an alternative escape route by way of an escape stairway should be provided from each storey which has a floor 7.5 m or more above the ground or access level. Where the access to the alternative escape route is by way of the protected stairway, the protected stairway at or about 7.5 m above ground or access level should be separated from the lower storeys or levels by fire resisting construction;(see Diagram 4)”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I live in a 4 storey (new build) house and we have two separate staircases from third to fourth storey.

Advertisement