Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary teachers retiring

Options
  • 23-01-2022 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious if anyone knows of primary teachers availing of the new work until your 70 rule?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Can't say I do personally, but given that a lot of teachers approaching retirement age would have started in teaching when less people went to college, they would probably have their 40 years done in their 60s. There wouldn't be much incentive to stay on until 70. Particularly when the pension maxes out at 40 years service.

Down the line I can't see anyone staying in teaching until they are 70 unless they have to for financial reasons. Even now (I'm secondary) teachers staying past 60 in my school are a rarity. Generally they are retiring between 55-60. I've only seen one teacher work to 65 in 20 years teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If I pretended for a second that I had any intention of still being in a classroom when I’m 65-68, and I was a year or two short of maxing out my pension, I could see why someone might consider staying on.

As rbt said though, I imagine very few would other than for that reason (or because they feel that they still need their full salary rather than their full pension).

Advertisement