Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike service centre recommendation - Dublin City

• 21-01-2022 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I recently moved to the city centre (Ormond Quay) and I'm looking for a solid shop to carry out servicing on a fairly high-end road bike. Or it certainly was at point of purchase anyway. It's a Felt AR4 from 2012 with a 2x10sp ultegra groupset - https://99spokes.com/en-EU/bikes/felt/2012/ar4. Lovely bike with great aero.

Here's the issue. Over the past year or two, the gearing has been pretty unreliable. It does not shift consistently, and on certain rings of the cassette, the chain will skip regularly. Sometimes it's like it needs to be shifted up twice to move once, and it skips, then you need to shift it down to rebalance it. Though lately that hasn't been a reliable method either.

I've had it serviced at two highly regarded bike shops in Dublin, and even replaced the shifters themselves (which are not easy to find these days) but neither mechanic could get it right. The last place I was at informed me that they could get the shifting working fine when connecting the shifter directly to the rear derailleur, running the cable outside of the frame, but once it was re-inserted, the problem returned. So ultimately, I didn't get any benefit after taking it home. It shifted worse, if I'm honest. Before, it would be dodgy on one or two rings, now it seems like half the cassette needs to be avoided.

So I'd love if you guys had any recommendations for me, in terms of a place I can go to get this sorted.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

PM’d you. Not sure we’re allowed recommend businesses on thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

That 10 speed ultegra has a glitch in it, i had a caad 9 , same era, had 3 different mechanics try to get it working smoothly to no avail. Sold it on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I had the same groupset and it tormented me for the whole time I had it, it's badly put together and no amount of tweaking will resolve it fully (I do have a need for things to run perfectly, so that trait doesn't help) but the time I wasted on it!! Had my eyes opened with the 11sp Ultegra and was a world of difference away. However a groupset change will cost you as the prices just keep going up and up

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gwame

I have heard there's a design issue with that groupset. Though I'm curious why it can be made to shift properly when the parts are connected to each other outside of the frame, but when rerouted through it, it goes wonky again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

To hijack a bit: I've the same issue with a Shimano 105 10 speed, about the same vintage. Is there enough common parts between the Ultegra and 105 that this problem might be common? For years, and quite a few km there was no issue, but it surfaced about two years ago. The skipping/hopping occurs in the middle range, usually when on the big ring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bee Cycles if they are open are always well recommended, The Bike Rack just off the N11 if you are southside and I ave heard many hear recommending 360cycles if you are north side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭Gerry

chain skipping sounds more like wear as distinct from the shifting issue. but would have expected the bike shops you've already been to have checked it out. only shop I know at all in the city is Penny farthing cycles and I always was happy with the work done there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

I always put chain skipping down to either a worn cassette or chain or both. Even if it was just the chain you would be better off getting both replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Also recommend Bee Cycles in de barn.

Advertisement