Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skipping the country

Options
  • 21-01-2022 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭

Say if someone had a bit of debt they couldn’t ever repay, had annoyed a few dodgy people and had unfortunate personal circumstances, could they leave Ireland and not be traced? The person I’m question hasn’t committed a crime or anything, but does need a completely new start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Foreign Legion to add a bit spice to his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

He would need a new identity though, they'd hardly facilitate that in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Are we talking about someone raking up a load of debt buying charlie on spec from some nasty dealers? Let's say he jumps town and disappears. You're going to have some dodgy types who are going to pick someone else to take it out on which will usually be his family. I knew of one family who found out about their child's drug debt when they woke up to find their car set on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Debt is debt, may not be a crime in all circumstances but it's generally not victimless. Absconding just leaves the creditor in the lurch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Gilberto De Piento?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If that doesn't work you could try the Spanish Foreign Legion*.

* As long as you are a Spanish Citizen or eligible to be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I thought a new identity is exactly why people join the French foreign leigion....

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

I think the Foreign Legion still provide you with a new identity. But if your mate is not tough enough to stand up to a few street thugs he isn't going to last farting time in the Legion. Plus it takes money to get a new identity and disappear without a trace and it sounds like he has money problems. If he can handle the Legion then it might be an option. It's a 5 year commitment and he could wind up in a war zone getting his head blown off.. If he's got nobody to leave behind then he should just bog off to India and join some hippy commune. Lentil soup and free love. Win!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,216 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would agree bar student debt...f#ck those guys!

Basically he has co-operated with the Gardai despite warnings from very dodgy people not to do so. He has never been involved in crime himself, and sadly the protection doesn't seem to be there to the extent required.

He also took out a large amount of debt to run a business, but the dealers have nobbled hiim. Not entirely through conventional means either, there are relatively senior figures in a major bank who he was told are in the pay of this gang. He was told what the bank were going to do if he didn't co-operate and it was exactly what happened. He has also been told that Revenue will come down on him, but he's not worried, because he has done everything by the book.

This guy (and he is part of my family so I am biased) is a pretty interesting case. He qualified as an accountant and then a doctor despite growing up in relatively poverty. However he grew up with some hard chaws, one of whom is one of the largest cocaine trader in Ireland. They leaned on him pretty hard at one point, but he wouldn't budge and wouldn't help them with their importation. They backed off afterwards, but in the course of their threats they told him about a murder that a senior gang leader had been involved in. He spoke to the Gardai, told them what he knew, and it has the makings of a viable case.

With the banks and the gang against him and the authorities not offering him the requisite protection it's hard to see a way forward here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A lot of hearsay there. Are you sure he is not feeding you a story to excuse his own failures? In normal course a bank would deal directly with a customer, not issue threats via the associates of a drug gang. What did they do to him which is different to what would happen to anyone else?

Same for the Revenue, they would tell him directly what they wanted, not via third parties. If he has done everything by the book, what would they be looking for?

Sounds like a job for The A-Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

That's quite a pickle he's in. Could he go to the UK first and declare bankruptcy. That's the bank dealt with, no?

If he is a doctor (and an accountant and a business man) then he's more than likely familiar with MSF, many doctors take time out of their schedules every year to work or serve as a volunteer in any number of countries where some hard up cocaine users probably wouldn't follow.

https://www.msf.ie/job-profiles/medical-doctor

If he fakes his own death, I will take the film rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

What a curious amalgamation of bad luck coincidences …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Of course they can just stay off social media

Sorry, maybe I’m explaining it wrong. The cartel members warned him they had sway with his financial institution and that he’d be getting correspondence regarding his loan in two days. It duly arrived.

It’s officials in the bank doing the gang’s bidding, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

This guy is a "Walter Mitty" or a clown. Cut him loose and tell him to find his own way home. You wouldnt hear about this in a John Cleese Movie. Tell him to fupp off to South America not to anywhere legitimate where they will pursue his legend. This guy "IF" he is for real is the type of guy who gets your legs broken by association.

• Advertisement

Western nations are heavily regulated, especially when it comes to identity. It would be very difficult to establish an entirely new identity without having some supports within a government, and even then, with the range of surveillance in Europe, it would be possible to track someone. The problem is that few people are capable of entirely cutting themselves off from family or friends, and on top of that, is the desire to bring your monetary resources with you... that's fine if everything is in cash, but everything else leaves a trail.

Its definitely possible but it would be very difficult, and likely expensive to do it properly. It would also require a serious amount of willpower to just drop all connections from their past life. It's easy to say you'd do it for a few years, but starting afresh without family and friends for extended periods is actually quite difficult (I tried cutting myself off for a long period in China, and it was hard. Very hard to maintain over extended periods)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,141 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is the fella telling you these fantasies in the hope that you'll "lend" him the money?

Just an update.

My relation moved to South America, and was able to get some work in the medical field, thankfully he was able to get some co-operation around using an alias, once the situation was explained.

Things are really looking up as the gang he was in bother with are in disarray, they have been infiltrated and a couple of them are going to give evidence against the others. They're not going to be the force they were.

My relation is coming home for a visit in June, and he's talking about moving home, potentially in 2024 or 2025 if the gang is fully dismantled. He has some contacts who he does trust in the Gardai, and they've told him it'll be fine. He is still a bit uneasy, but has been reassured.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

I went off the radar 18 years ago, not because of debt or I pished off the wrong people I just needed me time. Some of it was like being re-birthed, one day without stress other days I was a quivering wreck through guilt. You cannot out run yourself. I ended up back at the exact same place I was running from and ended up doing twice the amount of back breaking thankless jobs I was already doing before I left Ireland for 14 months.

I came back to a ditch, only way to describe it. a ditch and a shovel with my name on it. The shovel could be used as a grave marker. Face your fears don't run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭eronayne

Errrrmmmmm. I’m either having a serious blast of dejavu. Was there not this exact thread a couple of years ago. Particularly the high ranking bank official in kahoots with the local gang ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I once purchased a one-way ticket to the Uk for a young person who was put under pressure to hide something the funny thing is he wasn't taking drugs nor did he own any money he was just a bit of an easy mark for them to me it was a bit like bullying they know who to target.

This thread started over a year ago. The new detail is that the OP and the fugitive are related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Try watching "the day of the jackal" for some tips on obtaining a new ID.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement