Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Patio, what stone to use?

• 21-01-2022 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi folks, bought a new house last year and looking to pull up the existing patio and replace the pavers with new ones, also will be doing a new area. In total it's about 60 m/sq. I'm drawn to the sandstone, i like the look of it. Was looking in a store the other day, the guy said by far the best seller at the minute is the silver granite, but that it's advised not to powerhose this. I'm looking for something that can be easily cleaned. Has anyone any experience or recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I went with Limestone, complete DIY job

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had the old (say 20 years) bog standard concrete slabs lifted and reset. Delighted with the result, it matches the old mossy stone wall and the general look of the place. I can see how it might not be everyone's choice though. The guy doing the job said he had had several similar jobs and they looked good.

Not sure about sandstone, I haven't had it but I seem to recall people saying it is hard to keep clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭billyhead

On a side note does anyone know or have suggestions for the best anti weeds/Moss patio slabs cleaner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭GIMP

We put down white granite slabs last year, really stand out and are very hard wearing. They really look good when the sun shines, they need a power washing in the spring time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Limestone is smooth and so needs very little cleaning. Granite is a nightmare as it needs power washing frequently especially if any of it is in the shade.

Sandstone can be soft and prone to cracking off in layers.

A lot of the porcelain tiles are slippery when wet.

Good quality concrete slabs are an economical and long lasting option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Use limestone myself. Sealed it before I put it down (makes a huge difference in keeping it clean)

I looked at many different materials but cost and ease of installation made me pick that.

Diy job. There was already about 8 in of hard-core there which made the foundations solid and took some of the hardship out of the job. Not all of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

great job, did you cement in the flags and edging?

question on the block around the pergola -> what stops these from coming away from the wood or falling down? Are they just cemented together or tied to the wood also?

Post edited by stooge on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

Jsut be aware these fade quite rapidly, after five years it's a pretty lacklustre appearance compared to how it looks when new

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What did you seal it with? Also is there some kind of weed barrier that goes down before the slab or is it just sitting on hardcore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭bullpost

Looking at a porcelain patio. Seems hardwearing and easy to keep clean etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I had a limestone patio and I took it up because I couldn’t keep it clean. Replaced that area with silver granite and cobble border. All surfaces need to be cleaned or power hosed. I used joint it for pointing as previously used sand and cement but always had issues when power hoses and had to replace. I have granite cills. I reused the limestone for my entrances/ steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

How is the patio now OP? We're putting a patio down shortly and have had three people out for the job. The first recommends sandstone - he says to just powerhose it occasionally and that's all the maintenance required. The second guy recommends to put down limestone because sandstone will stain quickly and will require a lot of work to keep it looking well. And then the third guy recommends porcelain because there's very little difference between sandstone and limestone - they'll both wear terribly. And he says that porcelain isn't slippery - surely it is?

So now we're confused and don't know what to do. How have people found the various stones over time? And how much maintenance is required of them?

Advertisement