Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Wild Atlantic Marathon and Half

Options
  • 19-01-2022 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

So I've just signed up for my first Donegal Marathon.

After much struggling to find the exact route, I found an old Boards thread with a strava share from 2018 event. Assuming the route is the same, here's the route plotted to MapMyRun: https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/4822007779.

Given the past shuttle bus from Glencolmcille back to Killybegs, and covid meaning this may be a less attractive option, I've sent in a few questions to the organisers on how this year's race will go. Any updates I'll post here, but for now assuming it'll be like previous years: point to point and bus back.

It looks incredibly hilly (aka scenically undulating...) but incredibly beautiful!

Overall I'm just happy to be back competing (in the loosest sense of the word - I'm a happy back-of-the-packer and just love the vibe, the different locations and scenery, and general comradery found at the races)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yes, it’s a very hilly but spectacular route. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I did it years ago and if it’s the same route it spectacular but as MurphD says it hilly and tough and fairly low key

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Low key is grand, I prefer a marathon with less faff and fanfare (done a few from EOI and MCI, small field, rural, no crowds of supporters, mostly running by yourself, with your own thoughts and the views for company :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7 katiemcg

Thanks for this! I’ve been looking for the route for ages! I might be crazy but I’m also doing this in June and it’s my first marathon!

First? Kudos to you! Will be my first Donegal, I've heard it's a 'little' hilly but incredibly scenic and beautiful! Enjoy every step. And remember: your first is a guaranteed PB/PR, so enjoy the experience and don't focus too much on time. Finish strong, finish happy, your first marathon is an experience you'll remember for the rest of your life :)

• Advertisement

Thank you! I absolutely don't care a jot about time. Getting over the finish line is my only goal! It's why I've chosen this one because I live in a very very rural area and my normal daily runs are very scenic (and very hilly). I didn't like the idea of running in a city but now I'm wondering if I should have chosen somewhere flat!

Nah, your first marathon will be one you'll always remember, make it a scenic one! You can run a flat city race any old time, they're grand and all, but this kind of scenery will just totally make the day so much more memorable :)

Yes this was my thinking too! And especially when I'm really not worried about time. Plus I'm used to the hills, t'would be very odd running 42k on flat 🤣

Now that's the perfect attitude! You're gonna LOVE your run!!

Flat does have its place, but it's definitely best when you're at peak fitness and actively chasing a time: you hit a good pace and rhythm and stick to it. All. The. Way. That can be incredibly tough to achieve (ups and downs give different muscles a break over the route - you don't get that on a flat route). But also delivers a good finish time. Berlin or Stockholm would be my recommendations for mostly-flat routes, and Amsterdam is about as flat as they get. All 3 great events, amazing vibes, beautiful cities to visit and explore.

My husband was complaining only yesterday that I should have chosen a marathon in a different country so we'd all have a good excuse to travel! I'm thinking that if I survive the Wild Atlantic Marathon I might try somewhere like Amsterdam or Berlin!

• Advertisement

He's got a point 😂

Before covid, I used to do that often! A marathon is an excellent REASON to travel 😁

Both of those are excellent options! Berlin might be tough from an entry pov, as lottery entry is always highly popular, and drawing for this year is already done. Tour or charity options should still be available but super expensive. Great experience though if you can get a spot, defo enter the lottery when it opens in Nov (and be prepared for a bit of a steep entry fee if you are drawn, but for sure worth it for the experience of a World Major!)

Amsterdam is first come first serve on entry, and not near as dear as Berlin. Also super flat, great vibe and crowd support, lovely route - I've done it twice and definitely on the cards to run it again, I highly recommend this one

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

Thanks for this, this will be my first marathon too. I made a mistake of google street viewing a section of the route and landed at the bottom of a steep hill. haha. Really looking forward to this marathon

Yay I’m not the only first timer! How’s the training going @sheriff2 My long run was a hilly 24km on Sunday in windy conditions and it was pretty tiring!

Fair play on the 24k run.

My training is going ok, I'm following Hal Higdons novice plan https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/novice-1-marathon/

I done a 20k long slow run last week and felt ok, knees got a bit sore though. The plan is a half marathon distance this weekend. I head out on my lunch break a couple of times a week, there's a great little route with a massive hill so I try going up and down that a few times at the end of the run.

My plan is to keep the long runs relatively flat for now, and hit the hills on the shorter runs.

Just FYI. I went and ran the last 21km of the actual route last weekend. It is absolutely STUNNING! But it is definitely hilly. So the first 7km are pretty much all hill so I think a slow start is very important. Then, there's a big big hill right outside Carrick. Then you turn and run down to Sliver Strand beach (gorgeous run). When you turn to come back you've got around 10km left to go and so from what I read you'd be hitting "The Wall" And then there's this hill. It's not a big one but just where it is, right at the point where we'll all be fairly tired! BUT once you get past that hill it's an easy run to the end. The last 4/5km are magic, just really really beautiful and I'm working on imagining myself sailing to then end along that gorgeous road.

I made the mistake of google street viewing some of the route just outside Killybegs and seen these hills at the start! I defo need to do more hill training!

Thanks for the above description, was buzzing reading it - i cant wait now.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Hi All

Does anybody have a link to the half marathon course.

Thanks.

Zebrano.

4 weeks to go, how are people getting on. This is my final week of training before tapering, so have my longest run this weekend at 32k.

I havent done as much hill work as i would have liked but am enjoying the process so far! Been the physio a couple of times with a sore knee from ITB syndrome, but other than that just small niggles as can be expected. Even bought new running shoes today!!

Cant wait for this now, hope everyone's training is going well

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Im doing the half. Training not as good as planned but im getting there did 16k yesterday no issues.

How's everyone feeling? This time next week we'll be nearly there! My training has gone well I think. I did 3 x 32 km in total, all 3 done on hilly routes. The last one was two weeks ago. The 2nd time I did the 32km though it turned out to be 35km as I went wrong on my route! I was kinda panicking about that during the run thinking I might have messed up my training but I'm kinda glad I did it now because psychologically, I know I can at least do 35km. Tomorrow my long run is only 12km which will feel so strange since I've been doing at least 21km every weekend since February!

• Advertisement
Advertisement