Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any such as a secure VPN?

Options
  • 18-01-2022 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭

Am looking at it for accessing US based Prime video.

Would you use it for online banking?

If I want to do it at the router level, ie. whole of house, what sort of gear do I need.

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Let's be honest

The VPN in that context of all those sold aggressively for privacy are really just to un-geo block and pirate.

SSL solved banking years ago, why add another 3rd party to the mix where you have no regulation.

To implement at a router level a router that supports OpenWRT or dd-wrt or tomato open-source firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Don't listen to that crazy guy. I apply it at router level for my Smart TVs, but it's a pain to change location. but much easier to use a VPN app on a firestick to change locations. It's pointless for online banking as the connection itself is not the weak link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Hello Dr jekyll and Mr Hyde

If you are looking at a value for money option for Geo unblocking I have been using the above.

Only issue I had was it was overloaded as a service on Christmas day.

I still hold to the hypothesis that VPN services are for bypassing Geo Blocks and Piracy.

In terms of weak links and Privacy your weak link is DNS which is how most IPs do tracking and blocking. Its in the clear but doesn't have to be.

Most other traffic these days goes by SSL / TLS

Advertisement