Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-ordered FTTH here in Germany. Couple of questions about tech spec.

Options
  • 18-01-2022 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I will state that I have a scant knowledge of FTTH, having only had VDSL with vectoring up to now. I have signed an expression of interest, forecast build out later this year, with a Swedish company called Openinfra that is active in the Berlin area digging up towns and building out local FTTH networks. The company provides a pdf tech spec in English at the following URL:

Could someone please clarify the following:

The CTS active equipment that they refer to is the ONT, right?

Up until now I've run a small cheap travel router with openWRT behind a simple vectoring capable ethernet only fritzbox acting as a pure dsl modem (plugged into the master socket obviously) with the openWRT devive handling the PPPoE authentication.

It seems this FTTH lark has no PPPoE and the client device needs to be configured as a DHCP client and just plugging the thing in means you have access. Is that right?

Can I keep my little travel router? It does everything I need like VLANs for the different wireless networks for the kids and smart dns ethernet socket for the Amazon fire TV etc. I don't need a powerful router as to be honest we don't "need" FTTH speeds at all but they are offering free installation if we sign up when the main network is being built so obviously I am going to take that deal. It's €17.50 a month for two years of 500/100 and then it goes up to €35 but we can switch down to 250/100 at that stage and save a fiver a month. Like I said, we don't currently need the speeds these guys are offering.

So can I keep that little router, change the authentication from PPPoE to simply DHCP and just plug it straight into the "CTS equipment"?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depending on NAT offload capabilities your current unit may drastically limit the improvement. It will most likely work but you may find the througput hits a ceiling.

I'd consider an upgrade for contemporary wifi performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Thanks for the feedback. So the router WiFi is off. The wan port is connected to the VDSL modem, the lan port connects to my switch and WiFi is provided via ubiquity access points on each floor.

We don't game or anything like that and our existing internet speed is entirely adequate for streaming etc. so if I accept that the current router will not allow us access to the increased speeds offered by ftth, do I need to spend money on a new router or can the current setup just plug in to the "fibre switch" that will be provided?

I might upgrade the router later if and when we need ftth speeds for a real world application of course. The ftth provider supplies some zyxel router as part of the bundle but I don't know which one or if it supports vlans or even if it can be flashed with openwrt at all.

I guess I'll just have to plug in my current router and see if it works and if not temporarily use the supplied one in "consumer mode"

Advertisement