Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extension costs without labour

Options
  • 17-01-2022 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I know this maybe a question like how long is a piece of string however I would love peoples opinions? My husband was a qualified plaster before the joined the defence forces and qualified as a block layer with them, he has done lots of civilian work and has great skills. We have just bought our rented house after 12 years and once he’s back from the leb in June he will begin work on a 40sq foot extension to our 3 bed semi. He will have lots of time off and his brothers are great labourers so will have very little labour cost, we have an electrician and a plumber in the family so find ourselves very lucky, what he doesn’t have experience in is costing of jobs and materials etc, we are happy to hire an engineer to design and sign off on things as we want to knock a load bearing wall and put in steel etc and are aware this will be costly and we won’t cut short on these things. What I’m asking is I hear cost on average for this at them moment going with private contractor is approx 80k + , with the savings we will make on labour, my husband is a great worker and will take pride in building this himself and will work all hours, I wonder how much we could expect to pay? Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 janandbren

Anyone any insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Did you mean 40 sq metre extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 janandbren

yes oh my god, thanks for spotting that! 😄

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just a finger in the air guesstimate....E40K for materials and limited labour costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Give the drawings you used to apply for planning permission to an experienced quantity surveyor and you'll have a better idea then. Any other answers will be wild guesstimates. 40sqM on a semi d requires planning permission.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

40m.sq. extension does not necessarily need planning permission (as long as exempt development criteria are met).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Priced a single storey 40 Sq. M extension to the rear of a semi D last month (Well my builder did), in North Dublin.

€120k.

Based on my experience, its about 50/50 for labour V Materials.

*About. It may go up or down depending on your actual spec.

Advertisement