Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Declaration Form (Postgraduate Diploma)

• 17-01-2022 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I have a degree in Enterprise Computing and also a Postgraduate Diploma in Geography.

I am filling in my subject declaration form for Geography currently. I have 60 ECTS for Geography - the amount required to teach it. A requirement is a degree with 180 ECTS (which I have with my computing degree). The declaration form asks for the degree title and degree awarding body etc., before asking for ‘other relevant qualifications’ in Geography.

Would I be right in saying that I fill in my computing degree in the first part, and then in the ‘other relevant qualifications’ I put in my Postgrad Dip?

The way they have it worded makes it confusing, I don’t know though..

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The Teaching Council requires that the credits eligible to teach a subject come from a degree. I'm not sure that you will be able to put down Geography as a subject. I presumed you were applying to be a Computer Science teacher when I saw the first sentence.

The degree entitles you to apply to teach your degree subject, not your diploma subject. Only after you have qualified as a teacher can you seek to add on subjects from non degree qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DazC98

Oh wow, seriously? The whole reason I switched over to Geography was to try and avoid teaching computer science, as I really dislike it. Was gonna add in History over the next couple years too, but now this has thrown a real spanner in the works.

The Geography modules come from a mix of third year degree subjects and equal the 60 ECTS credits. You still think there’s not much chance of me being able to use it as a subject for the PME?

Thanks for the reply!

Doing the PME and registering with the Teaching Council are two different things. A college offering the PME might let you teaching Geography, the Teaching Council will look for a degree to register you as a teacher and that's where they will look at your Computer Science degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DazC98

Oh right that makes sense. So I can register with the teaching council on the grounds I can teach computer science with my degree, then add in my Geography qualification? Thanks for the help.

It depends if your Geography qualification meets the requirements. It's not just about having 60 credits. They have to cover particular topics as well. The TC has a booklet with the list of LC subjects and the requirements for each.

• Advertisement
Advertisement