Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up Calla Lilies for winter storage

Options
  • 17-01-2022 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bit late to the party I realise.

But I gather I should probably have taken up my Calla Lily bulbs/tubers/rhizomes/whatever in the Autumn to store them for Winter.

I was thinking of doing this during the week.

My question is basically - should I do it? The reason I ask is just in case there are any arguments against it. And also because I suppose I'm just curious, as the leaves are still as healthy and green as ever (I realise they and the stems should all be cut back now regardless), maybe it's becasue the Autumn/Winter has been mild enough so far. Not a reason not to do it I imagine, but just thought I'd ask. Not many frosts yet, but they'll be coming I'm sure so I'd say it's time to get it done. I realise if we were in a very cold climate they'd probably be in a fairly perilous position at this stage of the Autumn/Winter.

Any comments very welcome

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Hello,

So for anyone interested (not many apparently 😀), I' ve decided to do precisely nothing.

This is based on a few people I got in contact with who own them and basically just prune them / tidy them over winter and cover them in case of any major frost forecasts.

Less work, that's for sure...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have no experience of calla lilies so was not offering any opinions, but I would do the same - cover them a bit if there is a threat of frost, or mulch with something, but I am not an enthusiast for nursing stuff, it grows or it doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

No experience of digging up cala lilies. I have some in the garden that grow back on their own from whatever stays alive underground. I got them a few years back from a neighbour's garden when they were changing what they were growing in a flower bed and they have come back each year since without doing anything to protect them here in north county Cork. A cover of mulch would probably do them no harm but mine are mixed in with other plants that I don't want to bury so I have just gone with the do nothing option.

Happy gardening!

I'm no gardener myself - but I can tell you I fully support the 'it grows or it doesn't' concept :)

I'm sure there are caveats but for these lilies that sounds fine

• Advertisement
Advertisement