Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to straighten warped aluminium bath side

Options
  • 17-01-2022 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

I would like to fix up a side of a bath. The light aluminium cover is warped and has gone convex so it is no longer attached at the length of the top but bent inwards.

It's a small bathroom with a standard bath and the cover is off white.

I know a picture would help but it did not take unfortunately and I am not on site.

I know ideally, I could build a timber frame and tile but I would just ideally like to make what's in place work, it's absolutely fine if I could figure out how to fix it so the top does not bend in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Are you sure it's aluminium? Those bath panels are usually plastic or GRP I thought. If you could straighten it out a light timber batten or slip could be bonded to the rear face as a reinforcing rib to help it keep its shape and prevent it from deflecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭boardtc

@jack of all Thanks! You are right it must be plastic. I like the battens idea, I can gorilla glue 3 or 4 of them on. I'm not sure how to fix it in place to hold it...maybe a small baton on the wall end....I am in the house tomorrow so will try 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Tek7 or glue the 2x1 battens onto the bath panel. Fit the bottom one about 1" or 25mm off the floor. Then on the floor screw down another piece of 2x1. Get some cabinet catches used for presses and put them on each batten. These will hold the bath panel in place, but it can be easily removed if needed.

This way the top of the panel goes up under the lip of the bath and the bottom can swing in and click into place.

I've done this a few times, it holds the panel securely but it can be removed for access if needed. It also makes a very satisfying "click" sounds when you push it home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭boardtc

@DublinDilbert that sounds like a proper job! I was time poor yesterday but @jack of all I was delighted with the way it worked out - I only had an hour to let the No More Nails "set" so added some gorilla tape and put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Glad it worked out for you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement