Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Physical casting/moulding of bite

• 17-01-2022 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, 

I am in contact with a consultant abroad about a dental issue (as I am expecting to be relocating from Ireland in a couple of months) and he has asked me to provide him with a physical dental mould/casting of my bite. I was wondering: 

1. Is this a commonplace service that is provided in Ireland and would it be an ortho or a dentist who would be best placed to do this? 

2. Can I just get this done in Ireland by making an appointment myself or would I need to get a letter of referral from the consultant (as you would if you were getting a CT scan)? 

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Disclaimer I'm not a dentist

Ordinary dentist take molds all the time, for the likes of making a crown and gum shields for grinding... if it needed to be a very detailed cast you may need to ortho but I don't expect you would need a referral. It would be wise to ask your consultants what type of cast they need and is there a medical name for it so there is no confusion.

Word of advice, overseas cut price dental can backfire, either get it sorted in your home country where you have a connection or in Ireland but it going to me more expensive. I've had dental work done here that could have been do cheaper in the like of hungry but I think I got a better outcome because it wasn't as rushed. I've heard of one guy getting implants in week in Thailand madness!

Op, what you are talking about is a set of study models. Any dentist will be able to have they made for you, you just need to make an appointment to have impressions taken. Probably take a couple of days to have them made. You pay the dentist for the appointment and laboratory fees, shouldn’t cost much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I got one about 8 yrs back for bruxism... which doesn't fit any more. I'm going for another this Thurs as l cracked a tiny little bit of my front upper incisor one night. I'm sh1ttless that I might break another piece off. €250

Not the same thing, you are getting an occlusal splint/bite guard, the op is asking about study models for treatment planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Promenade

Appreciate the responses! I just arranged it for the weekend with my usual dentist. Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement