Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperately seeking: New Management Company

Options
  • 17-01-2022 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

We have a small mixed development of apartments and houses (37 in total) in Slane, Co.Meath and are looking to change our Management Company and thought I'd see if anyone had a company they could recommend?

It's a small development and the management company just isn't interested in providing a reasonable level of service as they're picking up larger accounts in Dublin and it leaves us just paying them to organize the insurance and landscaping. We're not necessarily a high-maintenance account but we're not making progress and they've given up on trying to engage with non-payers so the ones that have been paying are losing interest also.

From what I understand we are obligated to have a management company for the estate but has anyone had any experience with just 4-5 directors running the company? That would be a last resort as we most certainly want a professional company on board and not the liability of running it ourselves.

Any recommendations would be appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You sound as if you are not sure about the differences between the Owners Management Company and management agents.

Some good resources:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/management_companies_for_apartment_blocks.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I think you’re going to find it hard to hire a managing agent for 37 units, get good service and have it affordable. There’s not a lot of work in managing a small estate like that. If anyone in the estate has an interest in taking it on, you should consider removing your agent and doing it yourselves. There will be a learning curve but the only real problem I would expect is debt collection - it’s easier when a stranger is writing you letters to

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Isgregalive

There's no question about that. We're such a small estate and the developers left it in such a mess it's always going to be a challenge to sort it out. But worth a shot as it's just going to hurt values in the long run unless we try to put it in order sooner rather than later. There's low participation from owners so self-managing is probably not a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You could try Greendoor. I am aware they handle an 18-unit development in Dublin for a fairly pernickety owner group.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the owners aren't participating now with the current Management Agent how will you get a vote past the AGM/EGM to change Management Agent? Then if you do and any issues come up they'll all blame you, even though you're the only one being proactive.

• Advertisement

Owners Management Companies can prove a nightmare scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I would advise against using Greendoor. They are currently installed in our new estate and have done little to nothing for us so we are now looking to change ourselves. With the amount of money paid to them it's shocking the level of engagement we have received from them. They have completely ignored recent attempts by us to communicate with them over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

You're thinking of becoming a director of this 'Owner - managers' set-up? One of the numerous problems that can arise here is someone comes knocking on your door each night complaining about a leaky pipe.

Advertisement