Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary Schools Greystones

• 17-01-2022 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

I need to start researching secondary schools in the area for my eldest child. I'd love to hear some feedback from parents of St. David's, Temple Carrig and the new Greystones Community College. I suppose I'm looking for feedback on all aspects such as teachers and academics, are your kids happy where they attend, any problems with bullying, was it difficult to get a place, baptism barrier, and whatever else you might like to share or advise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we have kids in Temple Carrig and have been generally very happy with the school. They've only had 2 years go through the LC so far and both were Covid-affected but I believe their college entry figures are pretty good (this is not the only metric for judging a school obviously). However it is difficult to get in, as siblings of existing students get priority and there are some places reserved for CofI parish members too.

You'll probably get better info on this from the Greystones Open Forum on FB though as very few people have kids in more than one secondary school you'd need to ask more specific questions to learn anything useful.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

We had two in Temple Carrie, one is now in now in college and the other is in transition year. Overall I would say it is an excellent school. As above it is very difficult to get a place. The first child gained entry to first year due to a cancellation and the second gained entry in second year.

The teachers are very dedicated and the kids seem to form a real bond with them. Many of the students are from very wealthy families (not ours) so there is pressure from kids to “keep up” with iPhones, clothing (other than uniform) etc. Not the school’s fault of course but no harm being aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Thank you. I don't like posting on the Greystones Open Forum on FB, but I guess for something like this I might have to make an exception. GCC won't have had any years go through the LC by the time my child is due to start secondary school. As you say, it is only one marker, but it's still one area which I'd like to have some past stats on.

My child isn't baptised so I'm just trying to gauge how difficult it might be to get into St Davids or Temple Carrig. GCC is multi-denominational.

Are your kids happy at Temple Carrig?

Thank you for this info. Good to know.

Advertisement