Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My trusty old Dell XPS8500 just stopped working

Options
  • 16-01-2022 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

I've had this machine for eight years and no real problems with it until a few days ago while I was working away merrily, the screen just went blank without warning. Screen went a pale yellow colour, could hear fans still going and light on.

At first I thought the problem was with the monitor but I've connected that to a laptop and the monitor is working fine.

I turn the PC on and it seems to start up OK, but nothing on screen. Could it be a failed graphics card or something that might be an easy fix? Is it worth trying to salvage it? I wouldn't even know where to go for computer repair. I'm in Mayo.

If I dump it, is there a way to retrieve what's on the hard drive?

Specs:

Dell XPS 8500 Desktop Windows 8 (upgraded to Windows 10)

12 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1GB GDDR5

2 TB 3.5-Inch 7200 RPM Hard Drive

Processor: Intel Core 3rd Gen i7-3770 Processor (3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz)

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

sounds like a graphics card issue alright

from a quick google search it seems your motherboard has integrated onboard graphics card, can you try plugging the monitor into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭blackbox

As long as the hard drive is ok you will be able to retrieve data from it (not so easy for programs). It might also be complicated if you have encrypted it.

You can plug the hard drive into a compatible (similar age) computer and it will show up on windows explorer as the next available drive letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If the graphics are integrated, can you get hold of any old PCI graphics card and try that?

Installing a card is fairly simple, all you need is a screwdriver.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,555 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Well, this is just a bit nuts. I opened this thread as I have a slightly older system, I think the 8300, and it just crashed and won't boot now. Looks like I'll be removing various parts to see what's up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,555 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, that was easy to diagnose. it was the keyboard, the ctrl button was stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

I was using a HDMI cable to connect the monitor. Would I need a different cable? And where would I connect it? Ports at back same as this https://www.hardware-corner.net/wp-content/uploads/compare/Dell_XPS_8500.jpg

I don't have another computer to do that.

I think most of my stuff is on onedrive and some on Google Drive. As for programs, finding it hard to remember what's on there. The one I'm missing most at the moment is Quicken - which was a download, so can probably use same key to put on this laptop. but I hate using the laptop. Loved using proper keyboard and large monitor.

does that say hdmi on that black panel just below half way down?

that cover with the warning circle could be hiding an input?

or the little input under the circle

you can get a hdmi to (whatever input) converter if you need

I think I had the monitor attached at A. Is B an option if I had the right cable?

yep, that's a DVI output.

which HDMI port had you been using? there's one built into the systemboard (A) but also one on the graphics card (beside B)

• Advertisement

yeah you've 2 HDMI ,try the one you weren't using all along

if you were using "A" all along then you most likely have a brand new graphics card :)

I'm not sure which HDMI port I was using. Probably A as it's more obvious. I only noticed the one next to B when I took the photo. Will try both later.

Post edited by leck on

Is DVI for a monitor or is it for printer?

monitor - that's the graphics card.

I connected to B. Up and running again. Does this mean I'm now connected to the onboard graphics card and the other one failed or is it the other way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

other way around, your now connected to graphics card

you're now connected to the dedicated graphics card

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1GB GDDR5

you might see an improvement , get the latest drivers for it too

Advertisement