Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mk7 Transit ran out of Diesel, now not running

• 16-01-2022 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭

I have a 2012 MK7. ETIS has it down as a 2.2L Duratorq common rail injection stage V.

This is a former courier van converted to a Campervan. It was lying up for a month or two and so I started it to let it run for a bit. Unbeknownst to myself, or in my ignorance I let the damned thing run out of diesel.

I put 20 Litres of diesel into the tank and had a few stabs at starting it but no joy. I checked etis but there's no fault codes stored in the van. I've bled the valve on what I think is the return line to the fuel filter and cracked an injector or two but nothing makes a difference. Still shows empty on the gauge too. There is plenty of fuel coming out of the valve, and when I do crack an injector there is a spurt of fuel rather than a trickle, so it looks like it's building fuel pressure.

Sometimes turning the key causes the van to just keep swinging and no firing at all. Other times it will start and run for around 3 seconds and it dies again. Each time it starts, it seems to run for the same amount of time.

There was a mouse problem in the van over the winter, so the idea that one of them was munching on wires crossed my mind, but that doesn't sit with the fact that the van started and ran for about 5 - 10 minutes before it ran out of diesel.

The only thing i have not done yet is take out the fuel filter and top it up. I'll have to get my hands on a tool to remove it to do that.

See below video's of it's behaviour.

Any suggestions as to what's going on here?

https://youtu.be/8L91HGMDMWM

https://youtu.be/9kB9CPnnkH4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not a mechanic, but the process for a common rail is different. I don’t think just an injector works for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Greatest pieces of crap when changing filters and trying to get them started again .

My thoughts are your empty tank crap has gone into fuel filter and would be changing it first before trying to bleed it.

Well known for buggers to get going again , why do you think Japanese cars have a primer on fuel filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Got a new filter and replaced that. I also went through the bleeding nonsense and it's solved that bit. The van now starts, runs for 3 seconds and cuts out.

If the ignition is off and I start it directly it fires up no problem and then cuts out. I can then check the bleed valve on the return pipe from the fuel rail, and there is no diesel coming out - the fuel pump is off.

If I put the ignition on for a few seconds and try to start the van it just turns over and no firing. All of this leads me to think it's immobiliser related as the fuel pump is shut off or the solenoid is faulty or whatever.

Interestingly, I've put around 30 litres of diesel into the van at this stage and it's still showing empty on the dial and this was working before. Any suggestions as to what I could try. My next idea is to start looking behind the dashboard for evidence of wiring being damaged from rodents.

If I remove the chip from the key and try to start it without the chip, nothing happens

https://youtu.be/Mmm9f0fTyfA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Timing belt

It sounds like there is air in the fuel line and it's causing it to cut out. probably starts when ignition is off because of an electric's are priming it...... When the ignition is off... try and turn the key so that the electrics come on give in 5 sec's turn it off again and repeat 4/5 times and then try and start it and rev it hard to try and clear any air without it cutting out.... Best of luck.

Advertisement