Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera focus problem.

Options
  • 16-01-2022 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I have a nikon d3000 which won't focus when I use the lens that came with it but will when I use the telephoto lens. I'm sure it's something small but can't figure it out. Any advise?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you know anyone else with a nikon to try the lens with?

IIRC on the D3000 there's no motor in the body, so it may be that the motor in the lens is malfunctioning, or possibly dirty contacts on it which might be impeding the comms with the lens. when you mount the lens, does the camera recognise there's a lens mounted?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

Thanks for the reply.

The lens is recognised as being attached. It will take a picture but a blurry one. It won't focus. Since my other lens works the problem must be this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Tech_Head

Does the lens have a focus switch?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

good point - check if the lens is set to A rather than M:

It was on the M. I have changed to A. Now it won't focus or take a pic. Probably something small but I'm puzzled

• Advertisement

I’d imagine you may have been playing around with the settings on the camera trying to sort it. Might be a good idea to reset the camera if you haven’t customised it too much.

it still could be that the lens is failing if the other lens is autofocusing without issue.

I doubt it's the settings on the camera. Something wrong with the lens. Might need a repair done on it. Thanks for the replies

most obvious test - if you can try it - is to try the lens on another body.

It does sound like you might have a dead lens.

Troubleshooting steps would usually be:

1. Check settings/switches on lens
    2. Check settings on camera
    3. Check contacts on both (your camera seems fine as another lens works)

Not sure when / where you got it but hopefully still under warranty. Get quotes for repairs but check the prices of kit lens online before you agree to anything. A lot of owners will try to sell them off to fund another lens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement