Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about BER reports and solar panels

Options
  • 15-01-2022 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to buy a property. On the seller's website, there is a BER report from 2017 which outlines various opportunities for improvement, eg solar palens would improve the energy efficiency of the apartment.

However, if I purchase an apartment how do I know if I have the right to attach solar panels etc to the roof? Would management not dicate that? Are these BER reports simply full of generic information that always suggests solar panels or is it actually specific to the apartment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You don't have the right to put anything on the roof as you don't own it, you have exclusive right to access it. It's a generic one or the auditor was terrible. With most apartments all you own is the air inside the walls, so you can do nothing to the outside or structure with OMC approval.

Is a 5 year old BER still valid for a sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

For a sale a cert is valid once less than 10 years old.

The guidance in the reports are fairly generic and in the case of solar panels wouldn't really apply to apartments.

That kind of work if possible would probably have to go through the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There is next to no chance a management company would permit solar panels to be installed. It's not just your roof. Anything that messes with the integrity of the roof can affect the entire roof not just the roof over one apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭spalpeen

Thank you all for clarifying

Advertisement