Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Music Library

Options
  • 14-01-2022 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Hi. I think this is the right forum. I have a large iTunes library on my laptop of about 10000 tracks. The vast majority come from from my old CD selection. I have a subset of the library on my phone but continually find that the album I want is not on the phone. The laptop is usually plugged in but not always. I would like a solution where I could access this library in other places in the house (TV sound bar perhaps) and also when out walking or driving

i think Apple Music might help but I already pay for Spotify Family and I don’t think the family would be too impressed if I swapped. Are there any other options that I could look at. Plex? Kodi? Not worried about videos etc as Netflix and Amazon Prime seems to cover those needs. Any ideas. I have a WD MyBook Live sitting in a cupboard unused if that could be of interest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Banner12

If your phone has a memory card slot put everything on a memory card ? You can cast from phone to tv / speaker..

I have c13,000 tracks on a card in phone and use Black Player, works a treat..

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

I run https://www.navidrome.org on an old raspberry pi with large SD card. Anything with a web browser can access the music in an interface that's similar to spotify. For out walking or driving there are various mobile apps that support offline playback.

The raspberry pi was like €10, cost of the SD card depends on size, whether your music is FLAC or lossy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

YouTube music?

Allows upload of 100,000 songs and supports offline playing of your library

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Cant think of anything to be honest.

I have a raspberry pi with openmediavault sitting on a 4TB drive with all my music and videos. This takes care of the in-house watching/listening (kodi) but I dont know how you can tell the Apple Music app on your phone to use the network location - especially when you're out and about.

I got myself an iPhone with enough memory and just mirror the entire music library over onto the phone at intervals. My phone has 256GB and with just under 20,000 tracks (@320) its only about half full.

On a sidenote I have all my music tagged with musicbrainzpicard. Both apple music and kodi recognise the tags/artwork/compilations metadata etc and its just brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

Thanks all. I was hoping that there might be some easy method that I was missing. My iPhone is a 32 Gb work phone so no respite there. I will look at the Raspberry Pi ideas. Thanks again to all

Advertisement