Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Outlook

Options
  • 14-01-2022 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I have a microsoft email account - name@outlook.com. My name, as displayed on my outgoing mail, contains some accented characters, which were always correctly displayed until recently. For some reason the accented characters started to appear as '?' in outgoing mail some weeks ago causing my outgoing mail to be consigned to junk or rejected, by the intended recipients etc. etc. I checked the Account Settings and all appears to be in order and I did not make any changes to my Account settings. I contacted MS online support and it was an utter waste of time, checked exactly the same things that I had checked also created another profile which also had the problem.

The account type is MS Exchange account and has worked perfectly for me for several years. The version of Outlook that I am using is Outlook 2013 as part of MS Office - I do not think this is the issue and MS Support concurs in this regard.

Has anyone here experience such issue or can anyone offer any help or suggestion? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I completely froze Outlook for all users in work one day by adding a fada to a user's name.

What's the point of using accented characters in an email address anyway?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it appearing in the address itself?

Good point, surely not in the address itself. In my case, the fada went into the First Name field in the user's account.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I'm pretty sure it's not supported in the address itself, would be fine in the name associated with the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Surprised if it ever worked in the address . If you try now , outlook wont allow to create one.

Had similar � appearance(instead fada) in user display names when bulk uploaded given list to G suite. G support said it support (and indeed display correctly) if type manually per user, but not in bulk upload

Any mail addresses that contained fada were not created at all, cant remember error wording

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

My email address does not contain the 'síneadh fada', as you correctly state email addresses do not permit symbols of any kind, and as far as I know that has always been the case. What I outlined in my post is the fact that the name appearing on the incoming mail to recipients contains my NAME, as associated with my MS account, which contains accented vowels and displayed correctly until some weeks ago. As I said, it is a MS Exchange account and it automatically assigns the name associated with the account. Similarly with Gmail, when creating an Gmail account, you input your name, including accented vowels, then your email address etc. etc. The name appears on recipients' emails as the name input at line 2, including accented vowels. That is the way it used to be with Outlook as well but recently, the accented vowels are being corrupted in the transmission process.

I could have misinterpreted your statement - you use "name@outlook.com" and "My name,..." , i use to "name" vs "display name"

Does issue show up in web mail as well or is just outlook2013 app only?

I have edited my profile on MS acc and loaded new profile to outlook - no issues in display. Outlook 2016 and web

you could try same and see if it helps - change to standard characters, give it a time, test, then revert. Note - there is few minutes delay in MS acc change to take effect.

Sorry for confusion - name@outlook.com, referenced in previous post, is email address and obviously does not contain any symbols. The problem arises with the display name that shows on the recipients' email address as it attempts to read the name associated with my MS Account, which contains symbols. The problem does not arise if email is sent via webmail, I checked this last week and was in order. Incidentally, after sending one or two mails via webmail to another own email address, I sent another email via Outlook to one of the these addresses and the name appeared correctly, with all of the accented vowels. However, that only last for one email and it reverted to its erroneous behaviour again.

I will edit my name on my MS account without the accents and try this out and will post results, post change and having reverted to the correct name.

As you can appreciate, this is a most unsatisfactory situation as I cannot reliably send email from that address as in most instances, they are added to junk.

I appreciate your help and input with this issue smuggler.ie. I was hoping that you would see post as you helped me out previously and your expertise is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Did you try the mail application built into windows.

I edited my MS Account profile to remove all accented vowels. This reflected correctly in display name on outgoing mail. I then corrected the name in my MS Account, with accented characters, as previously setup and the display name on outgoing mail reverted to the corrupted characters - accented vowels showing as '?'. Email sent via webmail appears correctly in all instances.

Does this suggest to you that it is a problem at the MS Exchange? Given that it appears to work for you with Outlook 2016, could it be an issue with Outlook 2013 - although MS advise that this is not case, given that it worked previously. Not sure where to go with this at this stage.

• Advertisement

Not really, have been using it to test since this issue came to light. Prefer to use Outlook as my other email addresses are channeled through it.

Sorry, presumed you meant MS webmail and I didn't know there was a built-in application in Windows.

Its called "Mail" on win10 - a stripped off version of outlook, lack of features.

It seam that it is Outlook/system issue

See if this apply to your settings https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/troubleshoot/message-body/strange-characters-display-message-body, disable and see if helps, revert if not.

Thanks - Will have a look at the Settings later on this evening. However, I am not confident that this is the issue here given that accented characters in both Subject line and body of email are being displayed correctly. The corruption only impacts the display name (MS Account Profile Name) which contains accented characters.

Update to earlier email:

Have had a look at the Settings - Language Settings ..... the Unicode for UTF-8 is unchecked. Also, sent email from W10 App and the name displayed corrected on that as well.

RUN outlook.exe /safe was tested?

I tested this some time ago before I posted and the result is same as running in normal mode.

You sure you are loading new profile you created? Can you verify? Dont get me wrong, its easy to miss the step...

Looks like running low on options here....

You can try to create new fake account with fada in name(s) and load it into outlook, even better to a new profile again.

repair / reinstall / upgrade to 2016/19

I have now deleted new profile and reverted to original profile. After creating the new profile, I ran all the tests that I had carried out in the original profile. I am certain that the intended profile was loaded at time of tests etc. etc. and there was no change in the behaviour or result. I also ran the repair and ran update in both profiles but there was no change.

I am thinking at this stage of upgrading to Outlook 2016 - software.eu have priced it @ €80.00 - do you know if this is a legitimate version or is there an alternative supplier that you might know? Is it the case that if I were to upgrade to Outlook 2016, it would automatically install as an upgrade, without going through a lot of set-up procedures etc. etc.?

For €80, would you not just leave the fada out?

Edit: As below, completely understand that it is important to you.

Post edited by Esel on

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

As per above, i personally would leave it (with potential it will get magically resolved by next update or someone come across with some solution), but i accept that you value your name presentation due to personal or business reasons. Uninstall and re-install same version cost you nothing i guess, as last attempt.

If paying, pay for latest - longer lifespan https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/

Official price for stand-alone Office Home & Student 2021 is €149, you know it, anything outside that is .... something else.

So, same as you cant possibly know its origins, i cant possibly vouch for this or similar options. Also, such discussion might violate local rules.

I nearly sure you are facing uninstall / reinstall to avoid potential issues(had it), but your mail data file will be preserved and will be picked-up by new version.

If you purchase(official) and add lic to your MS account, not much of a setup, except few sign in - one for office, one for mail account to outlook. If your Win10 is tied to MS account it should pick up office right-away.

Many thanks for your help and input here. I will think about my options for some days and will make a decision at some stage next week. In the meantime, I am sending all mail from my Gmail account and at least I am confident of delivery etc. etc. Again thanks for your help.

Following on from last post, I think the matter has been resolved - I had posted earlier that the account was a Microsoft Exchange type account. Having exhausted all conceivable possibilities, I deleted the MS Outlook email account and set up the email account as a IMAP / SMTP type accounts and it appears to have sorted out the issue. Hope this may be of assistance to someone else with a similar problem.

Tá áthas ort ansin! 😀

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement