Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multi car cover - how does it work?

• 13-01-2022 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Hi

This might seem like a really dumb question, but had to ask..

We share a car at the moment. The insurance is in my name as I am the more experienced driver and my husband is named on the policy. We (I) have full NCB which is also protected with our current carriers.

We're thinking of getting a second car for me. My husband would keep the existing car, and we thought we'd just stick the second car onto my insurance again with either one of us able to drive either car. So I put the idea to my existing carrier and was somewhat taken aback to be told my husband would have to take out another policy in his name.

I'm from the UK, so not too sure how this works here, but is it possible to have a policy in one name with 2 cars and either one of us able to drive either car?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭standardg60

No it isn't, each car must have it's own policy. I have two cars but each has it's own ncb and insurance.

Your husband would have to start his own policy using his named driver experience on your car, while you transfer your policy to the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

That's great. Thank you for the insight. I assume we can still name each other as a driver on each of the cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes,you should be able to do that.

It's a bit if a farce of a system but that's what most couples have to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The worse thing is that you could have had him as the main driver on your car to build up his own NCD. Spouses have insurable interests in each others property so can insure it and if you are a 1 car family it's a good idea to alternate the main driver annually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The ‘main driver’ on any policy is always the policyholder. There is no field on a proposal form where you can name another person as the ‘main driver’.

The issue as the insurance companies see it is that if there are two people and two cars, each of the people will be considered as the main driver of one of the cars. That’s why they want the OP’s husband to take out his own policy.

What the OP may not realise is that even if she was allowed to buy a second policy, she would not get any benefit from her current NCB. So as long as her husband has had a full licence for a few years, a new policy in his name will probably cost the same as it would if she was allowed to insure the second car in her own name e.g. if she was a single person insuring two cars.

Post edited by coylemj on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Spouses can be the policy holder on their other half vehicles, that's how you swap main driver. Her husband could have had a full NCD if they'd swapped policy holder annually, now he only has named driver experience so won't have a full NCD

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Policyholder doesn't have to be the main driver. That's why there's a standard question "Will you be the main driver" on proposal forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you ask Axa or Allianz for a quote, both of them state in their assumptions that the person seeking the quote is the main driver.

Axa: About you: you are the main driver of the vehicle.

At the link below, click on 'Click on here to view the assumptions', then scroll down to 'About you'

https://www.axa.ie/car-insurance/quote/your-details/

Allianz: 'your car is owned by you and you are the main driver'

https://www.allianz.ie/car-insurance/assumptions/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm not unduly bothered about those proposal forms tbh. My point stands.

Advertisement