Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation of Latin on Marriage entry

Options
  • 13-01-2022 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi

I have a church marriage entry for a cousin of my grandmother, which has an entry in Latin in the final column. The entry reads: Sponsus, neo conversus.

I think it might mean that the groom is a convert (I heard many years ago that he was C of I originally), but am not sure so decided to ask here. I've uploaded the image. I hope this is ok.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

With the help of Google Translate, it looks like 'bridegroom new convert'. With the help of Sr Xavier a very long time ago, the -us ending refers to a male.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,150 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's dog-Latin. The "neo-" prefix that we use in English (as in neoliberal, neoclassical, etc) isn't from Latin; it's from the Greek neos, meaning "new". Neo in Latin means "I weave" or "I spin". "A new convert" would be conversus novus or conversus recens.

Still, I'm pretty sure that it is intended to signify that the groom had recently converted to Catholicism. Not to rubbish the standards of clerical education in the past, but not all priests were entirely fluent in Latin. And the fact that the groom had converted to Catholicism was significant and needed to be recorded somewhere; at the time Catholic canon law and practice leaned very strongly against interdenominational marriages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, I agree on the meaning.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Canem noli reprehendere, dominum reprehendere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

Thanks for taking the time to respond, that confirms what I was told. When I put the words in a Latin to English translation app, I got something about spinning back(wards) lol. I knew it wasn't that anyway.

Thank you all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement