Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nail Varnish woes... grrr...

Options
  • 12-01-2022 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭

Why oh why do companies make the brush too short for the bottle? I have about 20 different nail varnishes, with about a 1/4 left in each one; the brush will not reach the rest.. grr..

Anyone got any tips on how to use the rest of whats in the bottle? (that actually work?)

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Greek fabulist Aesop solved this problem two and a half thousand years ago. All you need is some stones and a crow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Here is a helpful hint. If you get bitten by a mosquito - put some nail varnish over the bite and it will stop it itching. Does not help you much OP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭sporina

lol i like the way you think - v lateral... but don't have any stones small enough to fit into my bottles of nail varnish grr... tis v annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Use a little paintbrush, (eg from a watercolour set or something like that) - long enough to reach the bottom of bottle.

Paint the varnish onto nails...swish the brush in a tiny jar of nail varnish remover to clean it, wipe on tissue. (You may need to do this twice)

Works for ALL your little Nail polish bottles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭victor8600

You could buy some tiny glass beads easily enough. The bigger problem is to capture and train a crow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

But what if you get bitten by a mosquito and you only have the ends of 20 bottles of nail varnish?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Here's what Maybelline offer in terms of explanation and solution:

Why doesn't the applicator brush reach the bottom of the nail-polish bottle?

"It's all because of manufacturing variations," explains Mylene Menard of cosmetics manufacturer Maybelline in New York. "A typical nail-polish bottle can have four manufacturing variations."

One could be the length of the plastic applicator brush, or wand. Another could be the hair on the wand. A third variation could lie in the thickness of the bottle and the fourth could be a very small variation in the amount of polish in the bottle. "Since the first three parts are moulded separately, the outcomes are not always identical. For instance, the glass could be thicker or thinner, or the variation might lie in the length of the hair placed on the wand."

Often, "the only way to get the last little bit," says Menard, "is to tilt the bottle," and that unfortunately can often result in spilling and a sticky mess.

Seems unsatisfactory to me on both counts. We can convincingly fake the moon landing but we can't make brushes a consistent size? Not buying it. Even if it is true, just make them too long, and it'll work fine.

And tilting is a guarantee of a glob of Revlon Colorstay Gel Envy right in the eye, as you hold it aloft to try to coax the reluctant liquid and ill-fitting brush to meet on the side of the glass bottle.

Born with it? I'd say they're full of it, so I would.

I wonder have TippEx solved the problem? I've never had a bottle of TippEx that lasted long enough in liquid form to find out.

Advertisement