Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build costs Jan 2022

Options
  • 12-01-2022 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi all

We had a sobering discussion with our architect today. From his QS, he estimated build costs in the region of 280/sq ft or 3000/sq m.

That figure was not specific with our build but he was giving us an estimation of what to expect.

Does this sound excessive or are these the sort of figures everyone else is getting?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not surprising I'm afraid! Sort of par for the course these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭chazlan

I think it completely depends where. I know an architect in Kildare that was suggesting something similar to the above figures! Was surprised like you so spoke to a builder I know in Donegal last week who said he is pricing new builds at between €125 and €150 / sq ft depending on finish and ground works!! I would have expected a difference - but not double prices!! I'd ring a local builder or two and ask them for a ballpark - you've nothing to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jon1jon1

Just went through the same and QS number came out almost identical to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Philcan

I came up with similar estimates.

Builders finish of 1600/sq m (architect advised on this rate)

and to finish to a nice but modest standard another 1450/sqm.

Total of 3050/sq m

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭safesemiauto

hi there I am new to this have a site bought with planning permission on it, hoping to self build wonder is there much difference in getting a builder vs self build, Im handy but not a builder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Wonder will that buck travel :-)

I'm currently getting *rough* prices in the region of €180/sq ft

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭purplefields

It won't be long now until this all collapses.

I was speaking to a builder a couple of weeks ago that mentioned he was already getting cancellations. People are postponing or cancelling entirely because they can't afford building costs.

Now with fuel at €2, people are already cutting back, and it is happening now. I can already see less traffic on the road.

Material costs may remain high for longer, but labour costs will certainly start coming down over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

tradesmen will definitely lower the cost of their labour at a time when driving to work is at an all time high. materials are the issue , always have been.

They won't have any choice. Either that or go on the dole/abroad.

Labour price has definitely gone up. If I was a tradesman over the last couple of years, I would certainly have increased my prices. I would be mad not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

price of insulation due to rise again this month, should a builder shoulder that increase?

They'll be even less people buying insulation if that is the case. This means less work for builders.

Everything is due to rise again, because oil is rocketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

No sign of prices dropping, if people are pulling out of self builds on a large scale construction workers will just get out of private builds and go work for developers, unlimited money tree for social housing at the moment, government will pay whatever rates it takes to make sure SF don't win the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭safesemiauto

so not the best time to thinking about starting to build near mind sell my house and move into a prefabricated "house" on site for the duration of a build

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gallyind

there's something really wrong in Ireland at the moment, I built a self build 12 years ago,

Im away at the moment and cant get over how affordoable the US is compared to Ireland now,

labour rate is high here too, for manula and trades like carpenty, same materials with a lot coming form China.....

Advertisement