Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training licence still not approved

Options
  • 12-01-2022 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My son turned in a training licence on the 6th of October and there has still been no word from the guards about approving it. Since this has been over 3 months does it mean it’s been refused? What should I do?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Did you get a letter from them indicating that they received and are processing your application?

You can always call your firearms officer(or ask at the station for their number, or the district/divisional office) to see where your application is in the pile.

Wouldn't be the first which fell down the back of a desk, nor the last.

While technically they(AGS) do have a 3 month limit to process applications in reality they often take a lot longer.

Best bet call your firearms officer(or district/divisional office) and they should be able to see where in the process it is sitting.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 John Wilson

No I didn’t receive any letter it’s just like it vanished into thin air. My licence took 2 months and 30 days to be approved so I’m guessing that the FO or Superintendent either doesn’t like giving people licences or there is some other problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

They could just be assigned to other, more critical stuff. With 20-30% absent with Omicron, not enough hands to go around. Throw in Christmas, and I wouldn't be panicked. Loosing patience and being pissed off, I get.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Quite likely, my Super & Chief do the same, take as long as humanely possible with every application, sub and renewal.

Give your FO a buzz and tell them you handed it in 3 months ago and never got a letter or heard anything.

See what they say, if it was an honest mistake your application may move to to front of the queue given it would be their screw up.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

All depends on how you want to play it. A call to the District Office, stating that under the Firearms Act, with 3 months passed, the application has been deemed to be refused, and that you intend to appeal through the District Court, can work wonders.

Contrary to some of the above answers, (letting it slide, aw they might be busy, an honest mistake, or even technically they can take as much time as they want), is not the way to go. The legislation states 3 months, FULL STOP.

Either they obey the law or they are in breach of it. BLACK and WHITE, NO GREY.

This is why it is happening, not enough people stand up to them and demand that they follow the law.

Just my 2c worth.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

I think if you check, nowhere did I suggest you let it slide. My main point, obvious or otherwise, is not to start worrying that there is a problem with your application. By all means give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eire392

Any firearms officer I know that got a call like that would tell you to belt away to the court.

A friendly call on the other hand and they'd follow it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭clivej

A polite call to the main Garda station that would deal with your application is the way to go. Ask for the firearms officer and speak to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭JP22

As Clive says, politeness should always be the first step; yes in an ideal world you should get a reply within the specified time frame.

In my experience most FO’s these days are on the ball and do their best, remember most are not experts at firearms laws/regs and are just lumped with the job and do it to the best of their ability; most problems normally originate from certain Supers. Remember sh..., sorry, manners, water flows down hill.

Phone the station, ask if the FO available and have a chat, if not get a date/time they are and phone again or better, call-in in person and have a chat.

If you’re serious about your sport/firearms then you’re in for the long haul (most of us old timers have had the same issue at least once in our lives), politeness, courtesy and getting to know your local FO/Station Sgt will pay off in the long term.

Best of luck.

Advertisement