Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Octavia diesel - coolant warning

Options
  • 12-01-2022 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭

I am grateful for any advice.

Warning light on dashboard about coolant.

I bought coolant, 1L

I see the two line marks on the coolant tank, lower level A, and upper level B.

However, I can't see the actual level of the liquid, as the tank is not see-through.

Also, I see discussion on web of mixing coolant with water.

Is it safe to simply pour some coolant direct from bottle into tank?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Coolant reservoir is or should be transpatent enough to see levels. Especialy where coolant is coloured. Can you see any coolant once open the reservoir - perhaps is completely empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks.

I wouldn't call it transparent enough to easily see levels.

Maybe a more trained eye could.

When I open it, yes I can see some coolant, but to my amateur eye, the level is low.

I can see pipes/tubes uncovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

What year is the car? I've a 152 diesel Octavia and the reservoir is semi-opaque. Not completely translucent but enough so you can see the coolant and level indicators and top up as needed. Can you maybe post a pic?

ETA: It's perfectly safe to top up directly from the coolant bottle. The water thing is if you ever get a coolant warning and you don't have any in the car/are nowhere near a motor factors; you can top up with water to do you until you can get to coolant.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try shake the car from side to side, sometimes that will show the flow moving better.

Use inspection light to illuminate trough reservoir. Works perfectly by any any car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thank you all so much.

It's a 151 diesel Octavia.

I (nervously) put maybe 0.5 L in.

The warning light disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Could you see the level after filling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

Keep a close eye on it, and the colour of it also. There have been issues ( though I’d say we’ll exaggerated ) of a lowakage of silica into the coolant and being an expensive fix! If in doubt, have someone look at it for you. I was only reading about it on here this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I carry a 500ml bottle of water/Antifreeze mix, every couple of 1000 Km the level will drop enough for the warning light to appear, slap in the 500ml and away again for the next couple of 1000 Km.

Mechanic has never found a leak in the last 4 years, except for when the waterpump failed, so just put it down to being a Skoda

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Needles73

It’s not the end of the world if you overfill as there is an overflow pipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jmreire

In the last week, both the Daughters Superb ( 161 ) 1.6 and the son in laws 141 octavia, both showed low water level warning lights.. so topped them both up with G13 antifreeze mix. Its important that you use the correct antifreeze, if only needing a top up, and if you are not sure which antifreeze to use, then ordinary water is fine. In both the Skodas in question, I've replaced the original expansion tanks ( the ones with "MIT SILIKAT" written on them ) with " empty" ones, it means that now I will have to change the antifeeze every 2 years or so, but its better than risking the "Tea Bag" leaking silicate into the system, and clogging up the matrix. I've never came across a case where it was not possible to see the water level in the tank ( unless in very old cars, maybe) And after topping up, and the warning light is still on, then unplug the electrical connector on the tank, and clean the terminals,,,,they often are the cause of the light staying on. It goes without saying, never open the tank when the engine is hot.

That "ordinary water" keep away from cooling system. Only distilled water is good enough.

Of course distilled water is the way to go, in an ideal situation, but when you don't have any? As is what happens in most cases.. Murphys Law being what it is. Personally due to the Nrs of VAG engined cars in the Family, I always keep a stock of G13 ready mixed in the shed...and last week, on two occasions, I had to use it. But then again, i would not expect every motorist / car owner to be prepared like this. And for certain sure, I would definitely prefer to use tap water than an incorrect anti-freeze, or drive with a low level of coolant. You always have to take the best option at hand.

You have a phone to call the road side service. Sure it cost but it is only right thing to do. Or wait until everything cools down and make assessment of situation. Only low level, drive to home or nearest parts store. No any level, call help or walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Can you elaborate on what you've heard or seen on this?

I had a very expensive repair on a 16 VW Passat recently for "contaminated" coolant, it was a dark grey cloudy colour and the coolant warning light was coming on, no overheating or other issues though. VW garage had to flush out the coolant system several times to de-sludge it, they couldn't explain how the coolant got contaminated in the first place though so I'm curious if this could be the cause.

Post edited by KingCong on

More than likely, google "Briskoda Coolant Problem" The coolant was designed for a long life span. Given the mix of different alloys now used in engine construction, specialized coolants were developed which had to not only keep the engine cool, but also had additives to protect the metals used. So VAG designed a header tank which had a cage in it, and this cage contained a tea bag package, which leached chemicals into the coolant, and kept it active (quite a lot of vehicles have mandatory coolant changes in their servicing, and this is to keep the coolant "Fresh" and active) But in the case of VAG, some of these "Tea Bags" leaked their contents directly into the coolant.....think of real Tea leaves making a pot of tea, where the leaves are strained out and only the liquid remains. So in the VAG case, the "Tea Leaves" are floating around in the system, and clogging it up.

Different situations demand different solutions....everything is circumstantial, and yes I'm well aware of the problems of putting the wrong liquids / fluids into a vehicle,,,I'm a mechanic too. And I've encountered circumstances where there was simply no choice, but to use what ever water was at hand, be that tap water, or from a water butt.

Now in the workshop, where everything is at hand, sure its by the book. But out in the Countryside, 07:00 Hrs, and some one is trying to make it to the city, 30 Klms away for 08:00 hrs...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Thanks for the explanation. That definitely sounds like my problem, don't understand why something like this wouldn't trigger a recall.

• Advertisement

Take a taxi, call uber. There is always solutions but you still justify wrong liquid for cooling.

Yes

Yes, its amazing what is not recalled...they tend to concentrate on safety issues, brakes steering etc. But google ( where would we be without it!! ☺️ ) Car Recall's , and you will see what's happening in the wonderful world of motor manufacturing....🙂

You are definitely city based I'd say, but trust me, down the Country , things are different. No Uber, and Taxi's can take quite awhile too., same as call out to garages, especially when you are running against the clock.

If your life really depends on it, then you really care about your car too. ...and is it really hard to live 1 day without car? Stop pushing that BS before you destroy more people cars!

The car cooling system must have only right type of ready mix or diluted coolant by distilled water. Nothing else, period!

If you use something else, go ahead but never ever come and say here that garbage to others! How many cars you destroyed thanks for that bad advice? Now everyone thinks it is ok to use "ordinary water" on vehicle cooling system...

Quite incredible though it may seem, yes there are people who just cannot do without a car for a single day..every hear about front line workers? Also, we are talking about topping up the header tank, with 1 ltr or less And that could mean half ltr concentrate mixed with half ltr ordinary water, and thats not refiling the whole system with tap water., as you are inferring. So just cut out with the hysterical " How many cars you destroyed with bad advice", I've NEVER destroyed any cars. And I've never heard of any one else either destroying a car by adding 1/2 ltr ( or less) of tap water. Have you?? Just stop the headline grabbing sensationalist negative comments., OK? End of story.

You really think everyone is human brain surgery doctors and can not be late? What an idiocy to justify to use the tap water on coolant system...

I know exactly what is life on country side, so you can not use that as advantage / disadvantage.

My suggestion remains the same, call the road side rescue (or taxi, uber, walk).

Thanks for such careless "service" Irish cars is pile of junk. So far I seen only 1 mint car and it was 2006 VW Passat (smile VAG family member). Owner was really-really took care about that car. Unfortunately that car was no for sale.

This kind of comment does not deserve a response.

This kind of comment says a lot more about you and your brain than anything else, its you who needs the brain. Cant hold a civilized conversation without insulting people. Best place for you is the ignore list.

Done.

• Advertisement

Go back and read your garbage!!!! Shame you to suggest that garbage for everyone and destroy their cars! You can not have every day "emergency" to justify to use tap water! Obviously you do not know, the tap water contains many minerals what reduce your car cooling performance. Old cars it was not big issue because there was load of potential cooling reserves. Now they use fancy cad programs to make everything minimal and cheap as possible. Everything works perfectly until some idiot do not touch that system.

Advertisement