Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty of Errigal?

Options
  • 12-01-2022 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Just recently moved up to Donegal, been planning a hike up Errigal once the weather gets a bit warmer. I was wondering for people who've done it how difficult you found it? I know the weather in Donegal can be a bit dodge and I heard the path at the bottom is very boggy but otherwise ok.

I've done mountains in the south before (Knockmealdown and up the Coumshingaun Lake in the Comeraghs) and consider myself moderate in terms of experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

It is a breathtaking climb with brilliant views. Plan to visit both peaks once you are up there and to explore the area a bit there is lovely scenery and there is a nearby waterfall that I plan to visit on my return there.

The peak can be seen from the carpark so navigation isn't too much of an issue but like any height make sure you are prepared for cold, wind and rapid changing weather. There are lots of shear drops in the area so make sure you know how to map read if there is any risk of cloud or mist.

The carpark is close to the foot and though the walk in is relatively short, it is the muddiest that I have experienced when climbing all the county highest peaks. Think deep rain sodden trenches of peat that will be slow to navigate. During summer it might be different but I needed my poles to stay upright getting through the low levels. Once clear of that it is a climb over loose stone so try to the tracks.

Well worth the effort but expect to return muddy but smiling. Bring plastic bags for the boots on your return.

Advertisement