Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whirlpool 9kg 6th sense washing machine - leaking under drum

Options
  • 11-01-2022 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Our whirlpool 6th sense washing machine is leaking, not a lot, under the drum. It is leaking from one corner of the plastic casing, but the casing appears undamaged. The area is slightly brown, as if a fixing has rusted. Otherwise everything looks fine. We have only recently moved in, but the machine looks fairly new.

My question is whether it is worth while getting someone to look at this, or should I cut my losses, now. The machine is pretty heavy, so wouldn't do much with it myself. Having said that, I'm wondering whether I should try sealing that corner with something like TEX 7 sealant. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Hi, would you post a couple of pics of the rusty area and the corner where you think the leak might be coming from. The rust could be coming from a piece of metal (ie nail or screw) that's become lodged in the side of the drum.

While tech7 is an excellent product, its uses on repairing a leaking washing machine might be fairly limited.

Have you disconnected it, layed it on its side and looked at the underneath for any loose connections or blocked filters at the pumps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

@Deregos. Its leaking intermittently from a bottom corner of the seam joining the two halves of the outer drum. It only leaks when washing a heavy load, such as towels. I can only surmise that the joint is flexing, under load. It's in a utility room, with a concrete floor, so manageable for now.

I think the rust is a bit of a side issue. I found two rusty hairpins in the sump and I suspect that that was the cause. There is no rattling or other evidence of anything else loose in the drum. I think I'll go ahead and chance the Tec7, unless you have a better suggestion. I do have a two pack epoxy but that doesn't flex like Tex 7 would. My only concern is that the crack is likely to spread. Maybe using both, the epoxy followed by Tec 7, might be a better option?

Advertisement