Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Process of Islamic Marriage in Ireland

Options
  • 11-01-2022 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

I am looking for someone who has experience with the Islamic Marriage ceremony in Ireland. To add context, I was born and raised in Ireland as a Catholic, however, I converted to Islam after meeting a muslim girl. My question is two-part;

1.) As I am personally aware, the process of converting to Islam itself is very straight-forward, with no official documentation required. The relationship is between you and Allah. However, through friends, I am also aware of certain countries that require non-muslims immigrants to undergo a dedicated conversion course until they can obtain a certificate. These certificates can become important when dealing with various affairs in those countries. Is anything official like this required by the Muslim "Board" in Ireland to "prove" that you are Muslim?

2.) We would like to undergo the Islamic ceremony, however, I wonder if the Mosque will question my Irish name? If so, would they require me to essentially convert again so that they can issue me with a certificate or something as mentioned above?

Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭huud

Asalamualikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu,

1) There is no Islamic country I know of that requires one to go through any islamic course or certification for a person to be accepted as a Muslim. The declaration of faith is sufficient, however, if your passport specifies religion as anything other than Islam, best to have a new passport that specifies Islam as your religion.

2) Name has nothing to do Islam, a person can become a Muslim and still keep his christian name. Christians and Jews, in Islam, are referred to as People Of The Book. To my knowledge, even in Ireland there is no concept of Islamic Certtificate that is needed to declare a person as Muslim, official documentation (passport) would suffice.

Advertisement