Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horse racing 'systems'

• 10-01-2022 11:06pm

Are horse racing 'systems' for real? Do they really allow you to win more than chance? I knew someone once who was very good with horse could bet and win a few hundred then stop. I mean not keep going and lose it again. Then in a few weeks do it again. But I have lost touch with him so cannot ask him what system, if any , he used.i had no interest in racing then but am a little interested now

Any books recommended?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭FiftyP

What do you mean by "systems?"

Is it possible to pick horses and win? Yes. Is it possible to write down your system into a complicated spreadsheet, feed it data, and have it spit out bets? Not to your or I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

That really doesn't sound like a system, just someone who knows their stuff and is very prudent about their bets.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Sounds like his system was discipline which is probably the most important aspect of successful gambling

I do not believe in systems as such

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭FiftyP

You're dead right too

Triple up on the amount you staked? Time to start flinging out whiskeys and ordering Yellow Spots

• Registered Users Posts: 41 The Hoarse Whisperer

Re. systems

A guy called Bill Benter, google him, claims to have made his fortune using compter generated models to bet on the horses in Hong Kong.

For what its worth while in college I played around with creating systems/models for betting on the horses using data science tools like neural nets but couldnt create one that could make a profit. Most of the better ones hovered around -10% to level stakes range. Think Paddy Power said himself regarding his companys business model that it is designed to take 10% of a punters money over time so that seems to add up! Data science/analytics wouldnt be my area though so Id imagine someone skilled in this area could do better.

• Advertisement

It's all codology......once the tape drops/ gates open.....there ain't no system...... saddles slip,horses go lame, fall, jockeys pull up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Plenty of systems peddled around for years the only way profitable is to sell them on to gullible punters . The only hope of making money requires very long hours concentrating on select races and having the discipline to wait for the right time .Bookies hold all the advantages these days you start winning money they limit your bets and so on .

I read about bill Benter and read a couple of books about system s.

On8 book claimed to take possibility of lame horses etc into account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,434 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I bet (lol) I could come up with a system on paper that would make profit every month of the year. A simple set of rules that would turn profit always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭del roy

An informed punter guessing system is as good as any system out there. 100%

Advertisement