Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Plus Charger Lead was Smoking ready to go on fire

Options
  • 10-01-2022 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

HI folks just looking for advice here the above says it all really i just happened to be beside the phone when i noticed smoke coming out of lead as it was Charging , i unplugged it immediately and took photos of the melted lead,

I reported this to One plus, well all this company explained how dangerous it was and could of caused a fire but this company just puts you is put u on the this issue long finger , we will escalate , this shouldnt have happened all that it went on for well over 6 weeks eventually i got a reply saying ""Pertaining the issue reported about the charged, we see that it is out of warranty. We would like to know if you have already purchased another""

I was really highlighting the fact that this was a dangerous situation and that was there response after 6 weeks ,

Can i report this issue to a higher authority

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭JamBur

How old was the cable? What condition was it in? What do you expect them to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

the cable was new about 3 years was a spare i had that i was only using last 6 months ,

I was highlighting how dangerous it was and it could happen to someone else was it an issue with the Quality of cable,

What do i expect them to do, Guess supply a Charger Cable that wont go on fire and burn your house down is that too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

An indestructible cable doesn't exist. They get damaged with use. If its out of warranty you've had it while. Chargers, especially fast chargers shouldn't be left unattended for long periods. I make a special effort to check mine are still charging 100%. I often find, especially with the ones other people are using, they are no longer giving a full charge Which means there's breaks or cracks in the wire. I find people leave them on beds, or papers, charging. Which is a fire risk. Same with ones left on overnight somewhere out of sight.

While the cable could be faulty due to a manufacturing fault. Its most likely just become damaged. It going to be hard to prove it wasn't.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

Report the cable to eccireland.ie That's the European Consumer Centre with an office Dublin,Ireland.They will advise where to take your complaint.Keep all communications with OnePlus including unanswered emails etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Nothing to lose by trying.

There been a few fires with tech stuff. Some public education on it all would be useful.

Advertisement