Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei P30 Pro to ??

Options
  • 10-01-2022 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice here. I used to rely on carphone warehouse and go in to get a good comparison of deals/phones etc to pick out each phone and this is the first time I've tried it without them and I'm a bit overwhelmed.

My p30 pro has now been dropped enough times by my daughter to see the screen flicker quite a bit but I got a solid 2.5 years out of it so I'm happy with it and am looking to replace it. It appears difficult to see specs on all the various phone models so I'm looking for some recommendations.

The things I use my phone for a lot are:

• Streaming media while I cook/clean etc
    • Nintedo DS emulator
    • reading books
    • a little social media browsing
    • google pay/leap card top up.

I'm not massively pushed on camera quality, I prefer screen real estate and decent battery and performance would be appreciated but to be honest, I don't run anything heavy duty through my phones.

I was looking at the Pixel 6 but I've only used Samsung before this Huawei and never used a google phone before so unsure of quality? Similarly I've seen other phone brands that I'm unfamiliar with and don't know the general consensus on like Oppo, OnePlus and Xiaomi. I can rule out Apple though. No interest in an iPhone.

Any advice would be good! Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'm far from an in the know person when it comes to all of the latest phones, but have been keeping an eye out myself as my contract is coming to an end in the next month or two (also have a P30 Pro). This website is brilliant for comparing specs on phones and one I always use when I'm upgrading: https://www.gsmarena.com/ there is a comparison feature which lets you choose up to 3 or 4 phones and compare them side by side.

Deciphering what the specs translate to in real world usage is another story and maybe someone else would be better at explaining that!

The Google Pixel 6 looks good to me and of all phones it was that or the Pro version that I was thinking of moving to if I do upgrade (Huawei is still working fine!). OnePlus 9 Pro another very good phone by the looks of it. Samsung have just brought out the S21 FE which might tick most of your boxes, the S22 coming out soon so the price of the S21 might dip if you wanted that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Have actually been looking at the Samsung S20 FE as I don't need the latest and greatest phones, and Xmas has left me a bit tight for cash. Would have been an insta-buy this morning when I saw you got a free chromebook with it (not that I needed it but free toys) but the offer ended yesterday.

The specs seem a little bit better on the S20 FE than the Pixel except for the camera and I'm not big on the camera anyway so the only other thing I'd have to work around is samsung bloatware. And now I'm trying to find the best deal for it with Virgin Media coming in surprisingly quite affordable with 0 upfront costs and 30 a month for the first 6 months and 50 a month for 18, as opposed to Three looking for 219 upfront with 45 a month and vodafone options being 249 upfront for 40 a month or free for 60 a month

Any idea who virgin media use as an MVNO?

EDIT: ah, it's because the virgin one is not the 5G model. which to be honest, I probably don't need anyway. and for info purposes, virgin media use THREE network as a MVNO

Double Edit: it's out of stock on virgin media, back to drawing board

Post edited by RedXIV on

Went for a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G in the end

Missed offers on the 10th

Ordered phone on the 11th

New offers on the 12th

Goddamn it

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Hi,

I’m in the same boat as the original OP, would like to know if anyone upgraded from the P30P to the pixel 6 and how they found the change? Are there any other phones worth considering - the s21 fe, or any oneplus alternatives.

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Following this with interest as my P20 is about to kick the can soon. I know very little about phones so asking a stupid question - is it now not possible to buy Huawei phones? I love the camera on mine.

I'm happy enough with the s20 FE if I'm being honest (after a disaster porting from vodafone. phone is grand, only a few minor things that I'm finding it hard to get used to after using the Huawei UI for so long. But over all I'm happy with the phone but the battery is a bit lackluster compared to other new phones I've had. I'm not big on camera usage so can't comment there but the phone is nippy and fast to move. There are a number of threads comparing the pixel6 to samsung phones which I found useful, and one which ultimately summed up as "if you care about the camera quality, go the Pixel 6, otherwise go with the samsung" but that could be obsolete after patches for Pixel 6

I wouldn't buy a Huawei phone now simply because it's a pain getting google ecosystem on to them and I use that a lot personally. Said as someone who LOVED my P30 Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I had an s20 for a few months before the p30 Pro and would think the p30pro is superior in every way,i have it 2 years now, if you are changing every 2 or 3 years you would hope to improve your phone when changing, obviously Huawei p40 etc have been made too difficult to own for most people. There are some good spec xiaomi that I think I might try if I had to change.

Advertisement