Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyrite Enniscrone

Options
  • 10-01-2022 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I would be very grateful of some advice. I am in the process of buying a house in Enniscrone. A Bsc Hons Building Surveyor has advised me that there are no visible signs of pyrite. The house was built in 1992. Do you think I should test for pyrite? Are any estates in Enniscrone know for pyrite problems (of course I know you can't say on a public forum but if you knew anything I'd really appreciate a private message).

Also I was wondering is a Bsc Hons Building Surveyor the same as a Chartered Surveyor.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If built in 1992 and no sign pyrite by now. Be fine.

And no. A Bsc Hons is an honours degree.

Chartership be an additional qualification as far as I know. Think SCSI are chartered?

Sorry I'm an engineer. We'd be CEng plus our original degree

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Julia2022

Gosh thank you for getting back so quickly!

Hi Wildly Boaring,

Sorry to labour the query but would you think a Bsc Hons Building Surveyor would be qualified enough to recognise pyrite signs if they were there?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Frankly depends on their experience. 20 years looking at houses - yep. Left college in June - nope.

Is there a reason you're hung up on Pyrite. I mean Mica or subsidence be much worse......

Hi Wildly Boaring,

Thanks again!

The reason I was worried about pyrite was that a builder told to me check for it as his father in Sligo had to rebuild his house. I also heard quite a few houses in Enniscrone had it.

Thanks for answering my query.

All the best

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭imp1

FWIW I haven't heard of any houses in Enniscrone with Pyrite, never mind 'quite a few' - are you saying these are confirmed as having Pyrite, or is it high stool talk?

Thanks for that assurance.

Advertisement