Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Insuring an 18 year old

• 09-01-2022 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ Sebastian Dangerfield

Over the next few weeks I will be buying a car for an 18 year old family member. Insurance is obviously going to cripple him, but Im hoping to make the best choice in car (max budget €4k) to keep it as low as possible.

Ive been given conflicting information on how to do so, i) that engine size is most important, and to not go bigger than a 1.0l, and ii) engine size doesnt really matter below 1.4 but a car more than 10 years older will have a loading on it.

A 2013 1.0 would tick both boxes, but even a 1.2 would open up more options. Does anyone know which box is more important?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,762 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm

I think the age of the car is more a factor. The only way to know is get a few reg numbers and try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 50,118 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26

Insurance is going to be expensive for an 18 year old which ever way you look at it. Insurance companies look at many factors, not just engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭ whomitconcerns

Let them buy their own car and insurance. They'll appreciate it more, and will drive safer.

Anyway.. Insurance will be expensive no matter what. There's a million factors and unfortunately just comparing 2/3 won't make a difference of much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ Sebastian Dangerfield

Yeah I get that, just trying to keep it as low as possible.

Ive tried a few combinations for online quotes and there doesn't seem to be much consistency to it. Using Yaris, Fiestas, Corsas etc Im getting anywhere from 2700 to 7500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭ billyhead

Try Boxymo. They target young people.

Advertisement