Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you queue to get on the plane as soon as the announcement is made, or do you wait?

Options
  • 09-01-2022 12:09am

When waiting to board a flight, do you queue when you hear the announcement to board or wait?

I’m a queue as soon as the announcement is made kinda gal, but I notice that 50% of people tend to wait until the last minute. Kinda like meh what’s the point in queuing just yet?

I feel better getting in the queue because I’m impatient to get going but wondered how others feel… So AH, queue to get on, or wait until the end?

Comments

I'm the very last person to board the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I wait. The only negative is that less likely to find space in overhead cabin near your seat. Usually fairly smooth boarding being last. I hate queuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'm the same. OP being impatient to get going won't change anything. The plane is going nowhere until everyone is boarded. The only thing about getting on last is it can be a struggle finding room in the overheads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Among the last. Hand luggage under the seat. No stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭sully123

If I have a window seat I might get on early and start zoning out

NEVER! I have a seat in the plane. Usually, because of stoma bags, I have checked-in luggage. If I didn’t, then anyway it would either fit somewhere or be checked in at boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I’m usually the first As I find that the aircraft departs quicker that way :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Usually get up when the queue starts to move. Don't like standing in a line but don't like climbing over other people to get to my window seat or having to ask someone to move as they're in the seat I booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,869 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

With Ryanair who I would do 99% of my flying with I always wait. They often announce to start queueing before the plane has even parked up and usually make you queue again by the tarmac anyway.

I only ever have hand luggage and always book aisle at the very back of the plane so me seats easy get to anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Always book an emergency row seat so no rush boarding

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I remember once, Dublin to Stansted flight, myself and Ray Houghton nearly had the same "argument" 😁

The introduction of allocated seating really ruined my boarding game. I used to fly solo to Edinburgh every couple of weeks. I would board last as there was always a middle seat in row 3 free (people don't like sitting beside each other) and shove the bag under the seat. I would then be off the plane in a shot once landed.

Nowadays with allocated seating, there's even less reason to queue early but they've ruined my quick free in'n'out system. . . .well that and the wife and kids that are normally in tow 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I wait until everyone else has gone . . . I've missed so many planes I can't tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Early usually so I can relax in my window seat while everyone else is boarding

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No. Queuing is for mugs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

General rule of 'be first or be last'. If i can get to the top of the queue as soon as the announcement is made (which is rare) I'd go for it, otherwise wait till the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fatnacho

Queuing to get into another queue. Pointless. Same getting off. People jumping up as soon as the plane lands. They’re standing for 20mins waiting to disembark and then end up only about 2 places in front of you at passport control.

I'm always first on the plane and straight to the cabin, where I make a point of offering the crew a shot of whiskey each for good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If I'm in an inside seat preferably I'd like to get in early.

if I'm in an aisle seat I like to be in last as you don't need to get up and down etc. Only thing is overhead space might be tough to get.

If I see people flocking to the queue I like to wait as you're standing ages in the queue before it starts moving anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

Last person on. Many times I have got a front row seat or a row to myself. Was last person getting onto an Iberia flight once. They told me that they had given my allocated seat to someone else so put me into business class where I was wined and dined. :)

• Advertisement

No queuing. I ask for a bit of extra time to board due to a chronic condition. Always bring a sweet treat for the cabin crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭niley

There was one airport in Eastern Europe I always loved. As soon as the announcement was made, everyone stood up and started queuing. They could easily be standing still for 30 minutes before the first passenger handed over their boarding card at the gate. Eventually after everyone had pilled through the gate they were confronted with boarding...of a bus. Packed in like sardines, waiting an age for the last person to get on, before driving off for the 3 minute trip to the airplane stand. Of course the last person onto the bus was the first person off and hence the first to board the plane. I'd purposefully stay seated until the very last minute at the boarding gate, but I could feel people trying to kill me with stares as I walked up the stairs to the plane 10 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

Haha. Regularly seen this. Joining priority people on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Our VIP car drives straight up to the plane, not sure what you folks mean by queuing.

Only 12 seats on my Gukf IV so queueing would be a bit pointless anyway.

Advertisement