Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extraction and risk of sinus perforation

Options
  • 08-01-2022 9:03pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've had trouble with my second molar on the right side of my maxillary teeth on and off for a few years. To cut a long story short the decision has been made to extract the tooth next week to resolve all the issues.

However the dentist has told me that the root of the tooth is very very close to touching the maxillary sinus and there is chance of a sinus perforation. He rates the risk at about 20% but says that he will do everything to prevent it from happening.

Now I didn't know much about sinus perforation at time of being told about it and have read up on it and it sounds quite unpleasant and not something that you really want to experience.

My question is if it was to happen, I believe that it could well need an oral surgeon to fix it unless it's very minor? What are waiting times looking like for oral surgeons in Ireland at the moment if I need to go down that route?

If they are not that long, is it work getting an oral surgeon to do the extraction as well if it will save me a little bit of grief?

Advertisement