Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi 5 vs wifi 6

Options
  • 07-01-2022 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

currently looking at upgrading my home wifi system. There are a lot of wifi 6 (ax) access points (and mesh systems) available now, but they do have a price premium over wifi 5 (ac) networks. For a home situation, is there any real benefit in wifi 6 over wifi 5, or is the benefit more for commercial sites where there will be a lot of users?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

we recently got Huawei 5G CPE Pro gear and wifi 6 extender part of a BB package, out of the box the devices would not connect via wifi, after diving in via admin ip over ethernet the wifi 802.11 mode was; (Wifi 6)2.4Ghz mode b/g/n/ax | 5G mode an/ac/ax. The other mode (Wifi 5) was 2.4Ghz mode b/g/n | 5G mode an/ac. Devices connected (wifi 5 ) were flapping on 6. I guess the devices are not ax /wifi 6 compatible. Something to think about before spending $.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Something else to consider, the chip shortage means 7 will arrive in 2023 so they may discount older stock. Lack of endpoints mean firms are ordering 6 or 7, but not 6E

Check your existing speeds though walls. If devices are only connecting to 2.4GHz then better locations or more access points may be a better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lamotu

Hi all, I bought the EIR routers before Christmas, and they provided no improvement whatsoever. So I called EIR to return them and EIR said that they would be picked up from the house by a courier. Fast forward a few months and no courier came by, so after several more calls, EIR provided an address in Waterford to send them back to, and also committed to refunding me.

Well 3 months later and no refund, and so I contacted EIR and asked for an update. They said I had to deal with Fónua. So I called Fonua and Fonua said I had to return the units to them. Too late for that I said, as I had already returned them to the Waterford address. Now Fonua wont contact EIR, and they wont refund me.

I thought this might help others that are looking to improve their WIFI. I am still in contact with Fonua, but despite repeated requests from me, they will not escalate my case to senior management. They are just ignoring my request.

I hope this helps you if you are looking to improve your WIFi. If you have any suggestions on how to get customer service from EIR or Fonua, please let me know.

Advertisement