Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Percolation test inquiry

Options
  • 07-01-2022 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

After discussion with architect over the phone, he advised to dig hole 1 foot wide by two foot deep and see how long it takes to drain. He advised if it takes too long then there is no point in going toward the pre planning application stage.

House built on adjacent field in 2004 and achieved planning on the condition of an appropriate sewage treatment system. My site appears identical to site house is built on.

My query is if new regulations are in place since 2004 which would mean the architect is on the ball with his advice.

Apologies for my ignorance in relation to this, this is new territory for me.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

Generally a percolation test is required to determine the PV value of the site. The PV value will also be used to determine the type of treatment system required for the site. A percolation test assesses the ability for water to drain through the site soil conditions. This test is assessed by recording the length of time for the water level to drop in the percolation test hole by a specified distance.

I had to get this done by an Engineer and guy with a digger in 2014. There were 2 large holes dug and 1 small one. The small one was about the size of the dimensions outlined by your architect. Im guessing hes indicating by digging this hole is to try and figure out the depth of the water table on the site.

The EPA code of practice should help explain things https://www.epa.ie/publications/compliance--enforcement/waste-water/2021_CodeofPractice_Web.pdf

Advertisement