Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Fantasy Football can impact mental health - study

• 06-01-2022 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,533 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting article in The Guardian about a study from Nottingham Trent University that shows fantasy football can affect the mental health of more dedicated users...

"A survey was taken by 1,995 individuals that recorded their engagement with the game – time spent playing, researching and thinking about fantasy football – and the effect it had on their mood, social adjustment and habits. Whereas about a quarter of respondents (24.6%) said playing caused them to experience at least a mild low mood, that number almost doubled among heavy users.

I have found there were times when disappointing outcomes in the game left me feeling low. I would liken it to the feeling when my favourite team loses a game. I wouldn't say I've experienced 'functional impairment' as a result of playing. I could imagine someone like Ben Crellin maybe having that as I can recall times when he's posted about missing sleep because he's trying to work out what fixtures will be taking place. I imagine most players aren't investing that level of mental commitment as someone like him or other content creators. I can well imagine though there are plenty of people out there that get very wound up by it all. I suppose it's like anything in life where you have to try and keep a bit of perspective and not get too attached. Important to be able to find a way to find time to relax as well.

MOD: You can't quote the whole article. One paragraph + link.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Post edited by F1ngers on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Saw that earlier alright and was going to post it but you beat me to it.

FPL can be incredibly frustrating for sure and if you're heavily invested in it (eg.either via high stakes money leagues, or if you're a content creator on social media) then I can deffo see how this could spill over into affecting your mood etc.

I dip in and out of Twitter occasionally and some of the FPL stuff on there seems to be very intense. I think the combo of FPL and social media is probably the real root of the problem.

I listen to the FPL General's podcast as well most weeks...he's had struggles with mental health recently but he's prepared to talk about it and advocates counselling which can only be a good thing.

For me, FPL is generally a welcome diversion that has rekindled my interest in football in the last few years. I find the vibe here on Boards is good....most of us are on the same page in terms of how serious we take it....the slow death of the Price Changes thread is the only thing I'm worried about tbh 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,568 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The study makes a good point about being invested in something that is out of control so you can see how that might effect people (especially heavy users) when things go wrong. Theres a fair portion of the game which is just chance and when chance goes against your decision making its easy to see how some would get down about it. For me when new transfers go wrong straight away its annoying for a couple of hours and then I park it and move on. Its when Im likely to use a -4 if the new player hasnt done anything after 3 games and in that way you get rid of your bad decision and hopefully replace it with a good one.

I did see a thread on Reddit a couple of weeks ago asking players how many hours a week they spend on fantasy. It was a bit of an eye opener as some are consuming massive amounts of Youtube on the subject and then podcasts on top of that, Twitter too. Some are spending 3+ hours a day on it which is a lot over a season. They are literally completely consumed by the game which cant be good for them.

Ive also wondered about the elite players of the game, those who regularly finish in the top 1k. I wonder how they would do if they spent that time instead in self investing and researching stocks and shares. There has to be at least some cross over between the two, their decision making is elite and they also have the ability to recognise mistakes quickly, correct them and be non emotional about it. Id say quite a few of them could be very successful at it if they put the same kind of effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Years ago when I was only playing the fpl format I would have definitely felt the highs and lows a lot more but in the last few years playing several different formats (fpl, sky, fanteam, dreamteam), typically when one format is not going well there is at least one of the otjer games going in the right direction.

Not for everyone though as it still involves a massive time investment to keep the different formats going.

Im not on twitter, but a lot of the fpl content creators seem to find twitter takes up a lot of their time in relation to fpl, and as such a lot seem to have reduced their twitter time in relation to fpl to help combat both the highs/lows and the general fpl noise

• Registered Users Posts: 24,669 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is a ‘mild low mood’ a mental health issue. ?

there are highs and lows in life, daily… not going too well at fantasy football can’t really be included in that. I’d be much more pissed off if the team who I support lose, in real life…as opposed to not getting many points in a competition that’s meant for a bit of craic amongst friends in the main.

I’ve been doing FFL in the pub and the last job… for years…. With cash prize payouts for those winning, second and third… I’m always destined for mid table obscurity, but I join it for a bit of craic, bit of slagging…and fun..ohhh I won the booby prize one year for coming last… a Shevchenko cocktail… or in other words, a White Russian…..even though he’s Ukrainian.

disappointment and failure is just part of life… the successes and celebrations mean more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's a frustrating game. The line between a fantastic GW and a miserable one is quite fine. Do I get down over it, no, it's a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭thefallingman

If I have a captain playing Friday evening and he miss’s a peno or gets sent off it can ruin my weekend !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just seeing this now. Sure it can make you sad, and can make you happy, does that count as "impact mental health" these days? Doesn't everything that's worth while in life do that to some extent? Following a football team, watching movies, falling in love, having kids?

Seems a nonsense article IMO

Advertisement