Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best finish for MDF stairs?

Options
  • 06-01-2022 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have bought a new house recently and the stairs is made of MDF. What is the best way to finish an MDF staircase?

Could I use a real wood or laminate clad system to cover?

Carpet down the middle is an option too but the large first step could make it appear disjointed looking. There may be a workaround solution for this though.

The staircase is constructed of 225mm x 30mm strings of MDF with 30mm MDF threads and risers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I suppose its down to personal preference, if it was mine I'd paint the strings and bands down in along the sides of the treads & risers with a plain strip of carpet down the center for that non-slip safety element and quietness.

Is there a half landing too?

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would just carpet the whole thing tbh. We went for the runner style like the above image but I wish we'd just carpeted the whole stairs.

Cracks between steps are inevitable, carpet will cover it up.

It's possible to put wooden flooring on stairs but I wouldn't, particularly if you have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lingardium Leviosa

Thanks Deregos, there is 2 quarter landings (its a u-shaped staircase), one is a bit like what you show above but there is also another with angled threads to accommodate the turn. I would like to run a carpet down the middle like you say but it may look a little disjointed I'm thinking with the complexity of the staircase. Staring to think full carpet may be best.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They can run the runner along the angled threads no problem, the runner is just squared off rather than going at the angle.

But I would fully cover those stairs in the pic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What's the best way to handle the top of a carpet if you go for laminate upstairs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thanks. Laminate goes in the 8.5mm gap hmm. I was wondering how they did it. :)

First instinct was carpet and with the turns even moreso.

Advertisement