Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue in Court today re' illegal parking

Options
  • 05-01-2022 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I was in court today where I was summonsed for parking on a double yellow and non-display of tax and insurance.

I don't remember getting a ticket, didnt get anything through the mail until I received the summons. I was taxed and insured and I always have them displayed so no idea what it was about. I went to court, was called, showed my tax and insurance proof, and so they were dismissed. Judge asked me how I pleaded to the double yellow and I said I didn't get notices on the day or via mail afterward. He told me to hurry up and asked what way I wanted to plead. I said I didn't think I should plead guilty as I didn't know what it was about. He said "fine, not guilty, back in court in March and perhaps you'll learn to read the situation then!".

I honestly don't know what this means, what I should have done (paid the fine?) or what they can do now. I'd as soon as be done with it at this point so can I just pay the fine now?

I felt bamboozled by it all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Was the stated location ever one near where you would park? I was just wondering if a mistake was made taking down somebody else's reg and you got hit with the summons?

Sorry for your troubles BTW. Doesn't sound like you were dealt with politely at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Your mistake it seems was attempting to represent yourself.

Have a solicitor with you next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

It was the south circular road, near Kilmainham on the 7-10-202, so over 15 months ago! So I honestly have no idea. I live in the city, so yes, easily, but normally you get clamped right? Or a letter in the post, I got nothing. I'm just wondering how bad it can get for just a double yellow offence that I have to go to court for again.

My dad has a similar thing going on right now. Garda accused him of parking in a disabled spot, which he 100% didn't, and had someone else in the car with him. Got the letter in the post and the Garda didn't even put down the correct street he started an unnecessary row with a pensioner on.

If the Garda shows up then the judge will almost certainly take their side. Truth and fairness don't matter.

I don't have the money for one, I thought I just needed to show up with my other certs, several people didn't have solicitors and they just showed their documentation, I just didn't want to say I committed the offence if I dont think I did and hadn't had any notification to say I had.

• Advertisement

So do you just get the original fine or more added on?

If the Garda shows up then the judge will almost certainly take their side believe their lies..

Fyp - if the Gards told the truth in court, then there would rarely be any 'side' to take; either subjectively or objectively. In the main that is - this case is different as OP is unsure of the facts..

Just saw when it happened, there's no option for you to pay the fine now.

Bring evidence that you can, fair chance the person who issued the fine won't show up. Hope for the best.

AFAIK it goes up 50% after 28 days then 28 days later there's no option to pay it.

It's up to luck/the judge what the outcome will be. If you do get a fine there'll likely be payment options.

• Advertisement

You're entitled to be diplomatic 😊 Was just expanding on your point a bit!

I'm happy to just pay now to be honest, I can't deal with the hassle atm and I can't get a solicitor for an 80€ fine. I just got railroaded and didnt want to say I was guilty!

Edit: I see you said 'no' option to pay! Nightmare. So I have to go to court again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't believe that you have the right to get a parking ticket as a first step in the case of a parking offence i.e. you can be summonsed straight to court without being given the option of a paying a fine.

I find it very strange that the OP's parking summons was adjourned to March, parking cases are almost never adjourned. If the Garda or traffic warden doesn't show up, they are typically dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Odd that the OP was summonsed for non-display of tax and insurance when they say they were in fact displaying.

Would a Garda normally note the make, colour etc. of a vehicle they were ticketing? Seems to me the most likely explanation is that they made a mistake taking down the reg.

If it was just the parking ticket, then absent CCTV etc. it's pretty much impossible to prove that you didn't do it. But the dubious non-display charges call the whole thing into question for me and tbh I'm surprised the judge didn't throw out the parking ticket as well on that basis.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Judge asked me how I pleaded to the double yellow and I said I didn't get notices on the day or via mail afterward. He told me to hurry up and asked what way I wanted to plead.

As you never got a notice in the post about a ticket, I'm going to assume that this prosecution was initiated by a Garda and not a traffic warden.

Was there a Garda in court to give evidence? The way you've described the court procedure doesn't sound right. If evidence was presented by a Garda then you would have been either convicted or found not guilty on the day. If your Garda wasn't available because of Covid (close contact etc.), all of his/her summons would have been adjourned en bloc and you would not have been in front of the judge to answer in the way you've described.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

OP, Sounds a bit odd how it happened.

When a similar thing happened to me. The garda had to be there, he could not be there, so his cases were given to another member of the force.

I was summoned for no insurance, which i have always had, and presented my papers. It was dismissed.

If your gardai was not there, its highly strange that it was not dismissed or passed to another.

Regardless, you have no choice now. The time to pay a fine has passed. Its possible you could contact the garda but it would absolutely be worthless unless you think they will confess to a mistaken charge.

You need to go to court. Do yourself a big favour. Find yourself a local solicitor that attends that court. Let them deal with the judge on your behalf. Judges dont like dealing with lay people because we have no idea of protocol or procedure, or impact as you have just learned first hand. A solicitor can highlight quickly that you were charged with other issues that were all dismissed and you believe this is a case of mistaken identity. If there is no guard to show up, it will likely be dismissed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Gardai don't attend on the first day for summons matters in the CCJ anymore, court presenters represent them and they only attend on the hearing date.

So if you get a parking summons issued by a Garda, you have to attend court twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

You absolutely do have a right to a FCPN first, you can't be summoned straight to court for any fixed penalty offence, to initiate any such proceedings where no FCPN has been issued is an unlawful process, and even in cases when you are eventually summonsed you then also get one final chance to pay a higher FCPN to avoid the proceedings.

It seems you are loosely describing is the upcoming pre trial procedure where counsel will be able to represent the prosecuting Garda, and it will only apply to certain indictable offences, based on the CC pre trial non statutory procedure in place since 2012.

To proceed with the hearing for a summary offence the prosecutor needs to be present, the first day is the hearing, if the prosecuting Guard is not present when you are called the case will usually be struck out, it would be rare for a dismissal or adjournment in such a case without good reason, but if there was there would be no plea made.

Back to the OP, as Coylemj rightly notes the way they "described the court procedure doesn't sound righ", it simply does not add up based on the information we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Rmgblue

Witcher is right. All looked after by court presenters now. OP it does sound like a mistake. I’m not certain but pretty sure you should have got a fine in the post? Did you? You can always ‘plead guilty’ next day but the first court date would have been better time to do that. I only say that as you mentioned preferring to pay the fine now. That’s not an option. Go get a solicitor. There’s the same bunch of solicitors in the court in the date. Grab one and explain it to them

• Advertisement

Witcher said "Gardai don't attend on the first day for summons matters in the CCJ anymore", the presenter is a member of the Gardaí (usually an inspector) and acts as the prosecuting Garda with the case being heard on the day.

At least that has been the case until recent enough, unless there are special procedures introduced in recent times applicable to the DMDC as I have not sat that court in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Rmgblue

Yea that’s that Witcher said. Which I’m in agreement with. It’s not what you said originally. But as you say you haven’t been there in some time. I’m just trying to make it clear for the OP not looking to start a row

Both my statements mean the same, but the confusion for me is coming from Witcher saying Gardaí don't attend the first day, is the presenter no longer a Garda, is it a civilian because that's the impression I got and the basis of my reply.

Clarity;

I didn't receive a fixed charge notice, first thing I received was a summons, this was issue in Dec of 2021, the offence was supposed to have taken place in October 2020. In Court the Garda who's name was on the summons was represented by another guard, who seems to be representing all guards that day. I showed my proof of tax and insurance to that guard and they struck those out, but the judge asked about the yellow lines offence. I said I didn't want to plead guilty if I didn't do it (I cannot prove any of this as noted above). Judge basically said I was wasting his time (I feel if I'd pleaded guilty he would have struck all charges out). He told me I'd soon learn to read the situation and set another date for March (I have not received notice of this).

I don't want to pay for a solicitor if I can just plead guilty on the day and pay the fine, my concern is if they can increase the fine or make the fine worse in another way e.g. points on my license.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Non-display of tax & insurance and parking on a double yellow line. 3 different documents.

They didn't give the exact spot I was parked in, just in Dublin 8, near SCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

so did you get the summons on the morning of the 5th Jan with court appearance a few hours later?

I assume not.

So you had plenty of time to think and have a reply ready.

Judges absolutely hate prevaricating. Come in front of a judge acting as if you are dumb and you get the response you got.

You'll get worse in March if you try this again.

You answer the question as honestly as you can. If warden put down tax and insurance, then possibly it was incorrect car.

If you do park at the location now and then and have a habit of not always paying for parking, then its likely you did get the ticket.

Ticket goes to registered address of the car. I don't believe in "lost" post. Neither do most judges. You either got it and trying to convince yourself you didn't or you got it and threw it out as you thought it was junk mail, or you car is registered to a different address. (unlikely if you got the summons)

So in March, when asked, answer yes or no. No dilly dally. Have the reasons for no and hope they don't have a photo

Deleted for privacy reasons.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

The Gardai are so incompetent. Once I was stopped for a traffic offence. I was asked to produce proof of Tax and insurance to my local Garda station, which I did. Nevertheless, I was summonsed to Court for failing to have valid Insurance and Tax. I produced my documentation to the judge who promptly threw out the case. A member of AGS stood up to apologise to the judge for the administrative error.

• Advertisement

I dont park near SCR, I'm over the other side of the city. I just don't really want to go through the hassle again in the courtroom and as it was so long ago I can't really say I wasn't there. I just want to plead guilty, pay the fine and move on. Again, my concern is if it'll just be the 80€.

Agreed that I must have been an annoyance to the court and riled the judge up coming to lunch, no messing about next time.

Advertisement