Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the bank know I got married

Options
  • 04-01-2022 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

So I started mortgage application before getting married. Submitted all relevant documents. Same now been processed. But I have got married since. Marriage not registered yet. Question is am I still ok to continue this application solely. OH will bring down the amount I will qualify for. Really cannot do this as joint application

The fact I have already applied can I keep going

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Did the paperwork up to now ever mention the Family Home Protection Act? Because I believe the bank will ask you to make a declaration as to your martial status so as to establish if the house will be considered a 'family home' - defined as 'a dwelling in which a married couple ordinarily reside'. At which point you will be obliged to inform them that you are now married.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yes, of course you tell your bank. I don't know why you would want to build one of the most important financial commitments you will ever make on a foundation of fraud. Is your marriage based on lies and deceit as well?

While you don't say what stage of the process you are in, the fact is you'll run into problems at the final stage. That's when you have to sign all the contracts. It's at that stage that your solicitor will have to tell your bank that the contract needs to be amended. And it's then that the bank will go "wtf? - we have to start the whole process again from scratch". As a result, you will probably lose out on whatever property you bid on, and possibly the deposit you put on it. Everyone will be pissed off with you, the bank may not even proceed with the application as they now view you as a liar/immature disaster/fraudster. Likewise, your solicitor may turn you away as they may feel they cannot trust you and, thus, can't represent you (you'll still have to pay them in full as they did all the required work on their end).

So, in the end, there will be a good chance that all you have done is gotten your hopes up for nothing, wasted everybody's time, prevented yourself from ever getting a mortgage with your preferred bank and flushed a huge part of your savings down the toilet. It won't be your OH that will be damaging your ability to buy a home, it will have been your own actions that do that.

P. S. Why do you think your OH will reduce the amount you can borrow in the first place?

a joint application will take into account his OH’s income (as would a single application when married, potentially also her own credit score if joint application almost certainly?) if she isn’t working the OP would be seen as the sole provider to the home, therefore all bills etc will be paid by them, which will of course now be more expensive for two (or more if/when they have kids) and all of that means a larger monthly outgoing despite the same income.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I suspect that the spouse has a house and mortgage in there name

Slava Ukrainii

Yes, I am well aware that the OH is included in the assessment. What I am asking the OP is what is it about their partner do they think will reduce the amout the can borrow.

P. S. Even if the OH is not working, they still contribute financially through tax relief, thus income is increased, often exceeding the increase in costs to a household. Also, the potential for having kids is irrelevant - more kids are born in Ireland outside of marriage than in, so is a poor indicator. Banks just work with the data they have.

• Advertisement

Nope, but have spent my career working alongside lenders in a variety of banks, mapping out flows and processes and designing modern IT solutions for them. Am also a certified lender and QFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Why should he tell them if it effects his mortgage application negatively?

I made sure to hide a loan from them when I applied for a mortgage.

Post edited by Jim2007 on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,774 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The poster is absolutely spot on: trying to mess the bank around is 27 shades of dumb.

Except for one twitch: how can the OP have gotten married but the marriage "Isn't registered yet".

Every wedding I've ever been to, registration papers and signed during the ceremony, and submitting the papers is just an administrative niceties.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Because to do otherwise would technically constitute fraud. And at that point it is at the discretion of the bank in deciding to make a complaint or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Sono

It seems a mod deleted my initial reply, very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Col31

What did it say

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Please ignore the warning. I put it on the wrong post in error!

It is possible that the marriage has not been registered if it was a marriage abroad. Marriage is only recognized in Ireland if it has been registered with the civil authorities in the state where it occurred. In most civil law states religious ceremonies are not recognized unless you go along to the civil authorities office and register it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

As noted above, the minute your solicitor puts the family home declaration in front of you, you have a problem.

Before you draw down the funds, the bank will get you to sign a document attesting that nothing in your circumstances has changed since you applied. Getting married would absolutely count as a change in circumstances.

Bite the bullet and go back to your bank ASAP.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Marriages are recognised in Ireland if they are legal in the country where they are celebrated. While a legal marriage will usually be registered in most countries, legality and registration are normally separate and it is possible, if unusual, to have a legal but unregistered marriage.

It's not so much the case in civil law countries that religious ceremonies are not registered as that it is an offence to celebrate a religious ceremony if the couple are not also civilly married. Thus a religious celebrant in, e.g., France generally won't celebrate a religious wedding for you unless you satisfy him that you are civilly married, either in France or elsewhere.

That may be in France. But here in Switzerland it is perfectly legal to have a church wedding and ignore the civil one. It is just not recognised. In the absence of any other comment from the OP, I assume they know the details of their marriage.

Advertisement