Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tanning deer hide

Options
  • 03-01-2022 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Anyone know any good supplier of tanning kits , supplies to do a deer hide. Looking for an Irish or EU supplier? Have avoided it for years, but have a lovely big hybrid hanging at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

Thanks, have you got anything from them post Brexit?

No, haven't bought from them before. I'll try find somewhere here that sells some

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Salt, vinegar and baking soda, and hoof oil are all you really need.

A good time to buy salt in large amounts is now in Winter as it is usually on sale for clearing paths etc or buy it for Water filters. it can be rough salt, no need for table salt type salt. Somthing like 10 euros for a 5 kg bag last time I bought it.

White vinegar...Your local Polish food supply shop or wherever your local chipper gets theirs.

Baking soda is easy enough. Hoof oil from the Co op or local horse supply shop.Pretty much the same thing.

Would suggest a large old door, table or sheet of marine-ply to layout and be able to stretch the hide on it to work on it properly, some short large-headed nails to nail it down is all that's needed.The next is a lot of time and patience to work the hide properly. Also,if you can hold off this until the weather gets somewhat drier or you have a really dry area to work in the better.As salt will suck more moisture out of the air than your hide at this time of year.

Hope this helps.

https://goneoutdoors.com/tan-deer-skin-leaving-hair-4550531.html

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Thanks for that. Tanning methods seem to be like calibers?? Endless selection, all with their own advantages and disadvantages. My plan, at the moment is throw hide in freezer until I'm ready. Defrost in salty water. Deflesh with power washer. Pickle in citric acid. Brush on commercial tanning liquid. Dry and then oil ???

Made my first mistake already. Left the hide on, while hanging. Best results if you skin immediately.

Just want to be in a position to use as much of the animal as possible.

• Advertisement

Dunno about the powerwasher on deerskin. It's very thin compared to cow or goatskin.But I'd be interested in hearing how it works out if you do. Anything to save on labour, as you'll be doing enough of that with the flensing pole* or table method as suggested in the link.

• A rounded pole that you use to rub the hide on to make it supple.An old bannister pole with a round wooden knob is great for this.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Will keep you posted. Australian lady on youtube used pwoerwasher on fallow hides???

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lfahy

To revise this thread.

Got to try the power washer on a deer hide.It works,but it is very easy to blow a hole in the skin alright.

Be nice if it caught on more here. Make use of more of the animal, and they do look well when finished.

• Advertisement
Advertisement