Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike carrier question

Options
  • 03-01-2022 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭

Recently changed the car to a 2018 Renault Captur but I’m reading conflicting reports on what kind of carrier I can use.

Is a hitch the only option or can your standard trunk one fit?

Has anyone else the same car to advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭cletus

A number of websites suggest that the basic strap on rear carriers won't work.

Here's a German company who produce a rear carrier that seems to require (temporary) removal of the rear spoiler to install a set of clamps/supports to the actual frame of the boot. This allows for a rear carrier to be installed.

I don't have this car, and I've never used products from the company, but it seems to fit with what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That looks an excellent solution, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Gosh, it's very expensive though. I've no knowledge of that particular rack but have seen other strap based boot racks in action and they're prone to wearing and scratching your car at the (many) contact points.

For that money you could have a Thule roof rack and bike holder.

Or a seasucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Not sure I’d trust myself with a bike on the roof.

€400 is a lot alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭cletus

A towbar fitted to you car will cost you €300, and then you'll have to buy a rack anyway.

You do get the added versatility of a towbar

• Advertisement
Advertisement