Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding an affinity strat

Options
  • 02-01-2022 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Bought one of these last year because the neck was phenomenal.

Always had one eye on potentially modding it. New pups, pots and switch basically. Any recommendations? I'm open to chinese knock off stuff if it does the same thing more or less as the brand name stuff. Just desperate to dump the ceramic pups.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Think I remember seeing a YouTube video last year where a guy modded a cheaper Strat using relatively generic alnicos from China. But I don't remember what channel or when. Think he was Canadian. I also think he may have used Roswell alnicos. Sorry I can't be more specific...

I've Wilkinsons on one of mine that I quite like.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

CSGuitars does a lot of cheap modding

If I was going to mod it, I'd look at locking tuners, graphtech nut and saddles, maybe a new bridge, and I like EMGs, so I'd probably drop a loaded Dave Gilmour pickup into it. Not cheap, but might give you ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

guitar fetish in the states. silly cheap and really good quality pickups.

humbuckers are all 4 wire so split-able.

I've used them for years on all sorts of builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭scottser

i bought an affinity tele a while ago, with the intention of modifying it, or at least learning to do some mods.

the neck and set up were perfect straight out of the box. intonation, action, nut and frets were bang on. plugged it in and the cheap ceramic pickups sounded actually pretty nice and the pots were smooth and quiet. tuners all held tension and worked perfectly.

in the end i never bothered to mod it because it didn't need anything done to it to be a perfectly fine and playable guitar. so before you go changing anything, is there something that actually needs to be changed on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I would agree with Scottser. Unless something is an issue like a nut causing tuning issues or a trem that doesn’t come back to pitch etc. I wouldn’t bother. Even with pickups, unless there’s something distinctly bad, you can normally tweak your amp to get the right sound with most pickups.

I bought a Classic Vibe Tele with the intention of upgrading it and all I ever did was replace the jack because it wouldn’t stay tight and I had no Loctite around.

Unless you’re thinking of getting into working on guitars and want to learn, I would just play the thing until you find something wrong with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement