Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sampling an old electronic organ

• 29-12-2021 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi there everyone.

I currently have a 1976 Galanti X-350 electronic organ which I acquired earlier this year. I have done a fair amount of work on the electronics (e.g. replacing e-caps & such) however the contact springs have become unreliable & intermittent within the past month or so.

I like some of the sounds on this organ, however the key contacts are of very poor quality & inherently flawed in their design. I have sought opinions from a couple of mechanical engineers about modifying/improving the contacts & the consensus that I am getting seems to be that doing so is either more trouble than it's worth or not possible anyway.

So it looks like the organ is destined to be parted out soon. I already have a buyer for the SAJ210 frequency divider IC so no complaints in that department. However, I would like to record the sounds via the headphone output & possibly use them in a software-based sound engine.

Does anyone on here have experience in doing this before? I'm interested in hearing the best way to go about it...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I multisampled some synth presets some years ago and still have the samples. Here's what I remember:

• It's important to be meticulous and consistent with your approach (e.g. start file names with MIDI note numbers) and get the best sound quality.
    • I tended to sample 4 notes per octave, using each 3 times on playback (tuned -1 / 0 / +1 semitones). You may be able to get away with less. Sampling every note is overkill.
    • I presume the organ keyboard is not velocity-sensitive, so no need to sample more than once per note.
    • Sample in mono, without any effects: turn off all chorus, rotary effects etc. You can add them back later if needed using plugins. but you might want to keep separate recordings of the effected sound for reference.
    • The headphone out will probably be fine in to a PC's Line In (not Mic In) with a suitable cable, and you can do the actual recording in to a free copy of Audacity. 16 bits is plenty for most instruments if you have good levels and you can use Audacity's maximise effect to bring all the levels up to 0dB.
    • For sustaining notes, as long as you sample a decent length of sustained sound, you can set up loop points in Audacity that the sample player can read. and use to hold notes for longer than you sampled.
    • As for playing them back, most DAWs have some kind of sampler plugin. Ableton, Apple Logic etc. On a Mac you can get MainStage for €30.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

@bnt Thanks for the pointers there.

I have Audacity installed on my PC so I will use that for recording.

I am sampling in mono (only one audio channel on this organ anyway).

I am recording each stop individually. I will do two sets, one straight signal & the other with vibrato. The reason for doing this is because the vibrato is quite distinct & really makes the sound.

I am also getting some practice in creating loops.

Contact are in such a poor state that about half of them no longer work at all. So I am working around that by lifting up the key desk & connecting the note contact to the common busbar with a needle-nosed pliers!

Time-consuming stuff alright but hopefully I'll get it all wrapped up before another fault surfaces...

Thank you for your input & sharing your expertise, much appreciated!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

This guy does a lot of that sort of stuff, worth going through his videos for info and tips. This video may be a starting point, but some of his others may be closer to what you're after.

https://youtu.be/N6wprMToxSg

Advertisement