Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice - Orlando holiday

• 28-12-2021 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Lookng to organise a familiy holiday (myself wife, 21 y.o. son and 19 yo daughter) in Orlando next year (2022). Been twice previously, both times on resort at Disney World, but as kids now grown up and dont want to restrict ourselves thinking of renting a house and a car, spending some time in Universal Studios, maybe Disney (again) and then doing beach trips etc.

Probably looking at early June, but could do anytime from May to August I guess.

So, looking for advice on any or all of the following:

• House rental (AirBnB, house swap, other?)
    • Best time to go
    • Packages for theme parks (what to do, what not to do)
    • Anything else the initiated might want to share

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

May is the last month before rainy season. Grand time to go to Orlando. Climate change may affect this.

Covid-19 delta and omicron should be in better control by May. Make sure your family is fully vaccinated way before leaving for Orlando. Frequently check the US State Department site regarding vaccinations, travel requirements and regulations, which change with the evolution and spread of each variation.

Recommend a supply of N-95 masks. The omicron variation needs extra protection. Shop around, as the price is dropping while the supply is increasing. Beware of knockoffs.

To get more detailed replies to your OP, consider asking for this thread to be moved to the United States forum. Your travel questions about Orlando and Florida beaches are frequented there.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

Thanks @Black Swan

@Moderator of this website - can this thread be moded to the US section, as suggested above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

Avoid July and August. Either way drink loads of water and drinks with electrolytes. I lost 4 lbs in as many days with dehydration.

Bump - still welcoming advice from all you lovely people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Personally I found it too hot there in July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Rented a different house on 3 different holidays in Windsor hills, excellent and very safe gated community, very highly recommend, you will need a car though but it is very close to the parks.

For time to go- try to avoid the peak of summer and also avoid spring break if possible, gets a little too crowded. a car also opens up some great possibilitys of trips down to NASA ect, you might even catch a launch of a spaceX rocket!

Thanks @Moreilly thats exactly the sort of plan I am thinking of. Where did you rent the house through? I've looked at both AirBnB abd VRBO, the latter seems to have better choice, but are there other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

If you’re mainly focused on Universal, renting a home nearby may prove difficult as that area isn’t zoned for holiday home rentals afaik, as your probably aware the majority of rental homes are in Kissimmee, Davenport etc, a thirty minute drive to Universal. You may have to consider a condo instead or maybe around Lake Buena Vista, 15 minutes from Universal & close to Disney too.

Mid May, weather should be great, before the Memorial weekend influx of American visitors

Thanks

I am not averse to a 20-30 minute drive to Universal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We stayed in Kissimmee when I was in my mid-teens quite a time ago, t'was grand for getting to parks. Plenty close by, Old Town, restaurants, retail parks etc. We went in May, was super warm/humid and I can only remember one day of rain - and it was proper rain for maybe an hour or two. Parks not too busy for queues that time of year and going by the space provided for queues I got the impression that they can get crazy long.

Are your kids actually up for this? I know what I would have said to my folks at 18 if they suggested a family holiday.

I was bored to tears of Disney at that age (15 iirc), Universal was awesome though, as was Kennedy.

• Advertisement

They are the ones demanding it - I'd happily settle for a week in Donegal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Hijacking the thread a little 😉

Where is the best/cheapest place to get 3-5 day pass for as many parks as possible?

If had to leave any parks out it would be the Disney ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Don’t know if it will be any cheaper but try undercovertourist, they are reputable, you’ll get your tickets quickly, they are dispatched from Scotland but they may not be any cheaper than the 7/14 tickets the likes of attractions direct & others sell this side of the pond

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Going next week:)

Got a really good flight and accommodation package via Cassidy Travel.

Bought the combo theme park tickets from Attraction tickets, Universal and Disney, buy 7 days get 7 days free and there were quite a few freebies thrown in. I looked at undercover tourist and some other places but they were the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Another tip is that if you go after Labour Day, the parks empty out hugely, so look at September if that's an option.

The only Disney Park I'd bother with for your group is Hollywood Studios. Has by far the best rides, plus Galaxy's Edge if there are any Star Wars fans among you. And if there are, I highly recommend the Star Wars Guided Tour.

Busch Gardens is well worth the drive if you rent a car. Would you consider a two-centre holiday? Last time I was there we did a week in Orlando (rented houses in Kissimee), then drove down to Tampa, did Busch Gardens, stayed that night in Clearwater, then went on down to Fort Meyers for the second week. It's gorgeous down on the Gulf Coast.

Advertisement