Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone explain this?

Options
  • 27-12-2021 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I am trying to have the faq below clarified by my local council, but a straight answer is hard to come by.

Can someone explain, in plain language, this FAQ that appears on many of the county council websites?:

“Is the area of an attic conversion reckonable in assessing the 40sqm exemption limit for domestic extensions?

No.”

I have an 15sqm extension to the rear of my house. I want to convert my attic (into a non-habitable space) but I need to know whether the conversion will push me over the 40sqm exemption limit. If attic conversion isn’t counted, then I can relax.

Thanks a million.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

"Attic conversion" is only relevant when providing habitable accommodation. Storage is exempt from planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ebbe

Thanks for your reply, Muffler.

So, have I got this right: attic square footage is only included in the overall floor area of the house when it is classed as a habitable space?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You are correct. Its one thing to use an undeveloped attic space as a storage area but if you proceed with converting it to habitable space then you will meed planning (depending on other factors) and need to comply with building regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ebbe

Thanks very much.

I plan on flooring it and putting in a new stairs and a dormer window at the back. The space will be non habitable attic storage, so I’m happy to know it won’t interfere with the 40sqm exemption limit.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,058 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That will likely planning as you are putting in a dormer. There are no exemptions for dormers in the act. some councils might turn a blind eye.

Also, a light would be a lot easier than a dormer if it is really only a storage area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement