Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post Primary Teaching Subjects

• 27-12-2021 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭

I am starting a PME next year in French and Irish. Is there good job opportunities with these two subjects in the west or south of the country. I started learning Spanish last year and am close to leaving cert standard now. How would I add on Spanish as another subject part time when I have the PME finished? I was looking at adding another subject after Spanish. What would be the best to add from this list, English, history, German, accounting or computer science in terms of job opportunities? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

You need a degree or 60 credits in a subject to be recognised to teach it. With Irish and French I don’t think you need any more subjects. Most Irish teachers in my school do not teach their second subject due to the demand for Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭appledrop

You can't just add on any subjects you like, the system doesn't work like that.

Anyway you will be grand, crying out for Irish teachers at moment all around the country so you will probably end up with a timetable of teaching mainly Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Mandf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Get a degree in it. And meet the required time living in Spain/a Spanish speaking country

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

You will get offers of subbing teaching Irish and MFL in the West.Better chance of securing long term work in Mid/South West.

I have those subjects. I have up a permanent position in the East with everyone telling me I’d walk into a job in the West. how wrong they were. Nobody told me about parochial and GAA politics. Nearly 20 years experience and all I was good for was subbing. I have just over an hour commute in another county but love my school and am CID again. Learned from my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You'd be much better off working on your French and Irish, than worrying about another subject. We get PME students all the time in those subjects, but we can't keep them on as their level of the language isn't high enough. Right now I've a PME who I've seen be corrected by a 1st year student, couldn't put them in 6th year next year. Get really good and Irish and French, get a job, then do whatever after. There's a course in UCC for teachers to add on Spanish, it's hard to get into it from what I've heard.

Do you know of any other courses or ways to add Spanish as a subject?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

As said above, you need a degree in it. Well, not exactly true. You need 60 ECTS degree credits from 2nd and 3rd year and 10 ECTS credits from 1st year. When I did this to add a language to my existing degree subjects I essentially did the BA degree at night, but the name of the "exit qualification" was the "Higher Diploma in Arts". It was worth 60 degree credits, and I had 10 credits from 1st year in that subject. I then sent this evidence to the Teaching Council and was registered for that subject. InterestingLY, although I was supposed to show evidence of having lived in the area for 3 months or something learning the language, they never asked me for this evidence (I had it).

So, you need to contact, for instance, the part-time BA office in UCD (put uni of your choice here) and ask them will Spanish be on at night (assuming you're working during the day) over two years, or full-time over a year. A very quick google of "Higher Diploma in Arts" and "Spanish" (as phrase searches/with double quotes) resulted in this in UCC:

And in UCD:

https://www.ucd.ie/artshumanities/baartsdn520/higherdiplomahdip/

So, now you know what to get stuck into. It's important to note that these night-time BAs are not run every year, so if you're serious about doing it, let them know (I wrote to the Head of the School). I'd fully support Dory's point above, though: career wise you'd be far better being really good at your existing two subject, especially Irish. There are huge opportunities for somebody who has focused on developing a superb standard in Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Maynooth also have a spanish course which you can do for 1 year full time or 2 years part time.

I would agree with everyone else though and don't bother with the spanish for the moment. You can always decide to do an add on later. You already have excellent prospects with your two subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes, there is a course being offered from this year to qualified teachers to upskill in Spanish and Physics (separate courses obviously!!) as they are shortage subjects. You will need to be fully qualified and teaching to be able to apply to do the course. You won't have any problem getting a job teaching Irish. There aren't many French teachers in the west either. My school has had difficulty getting both in the last number of years.

• Advertisement

There's the full time one year Higher Diploma in UCC. You could also do some modules with the Open University, but you won't know until you have them done if the TC will accept that course.

You really need to get out in the world and start working before you start thinking about other subjects. If I saw someone coming with three languages I'd think she/he are either a linguistic genius, or more likely - has spread themselves too thinly and won't be able to teach a very good higher level LC class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Don't even consider the Spanish for now. You will be busy enough with your PME workload in Irish and French, so don't even consider it. Where are you doing the PME?

Doing the MGO in Nuig. It is the PME through Irish.

I would agree with happyoutscan. Work on getting the best possible grade in that and then see. I did an online degree in history, but I wouldn't have even tried to do that at the same time as the PME. Great that you're doing it through Irish, should have a decent level of the language so. You should* have no problem getting a job.

*if you go somewhere where there's a lack of Irish speakers. IE not Connemara or West Kerry!

Advertisement